Thread: White men

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I am working ten years in a job that I dislike profoundly
    Sounds like you are bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Sounds like you are bitter.
    Does it? Does...it...? lol

If I say "I profoundly dislike broccoli" would you say I am bitter?

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    You are asserting that most people don't consider working for a public school to be public service? Really?
    I don't think at the university level. Ivory tower is not a complimentary term.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Just as our last cat was easing into very old age (she is 16 and incredibly FAt)
    I ended ip with another “foster”cat. My friend’s daughter is mentally ill and is scattering household goods, boyfriend and fiance, pets and children all over.

The least I could do was take one of her cats “temporarily” when she asked me. When I accepted that responsibility I told myself there is a better than 50% chance this cat becomes my cat. That is proving to be the case. This is not the cat I woild have chosen for myself if choosing a cat because she is just a year old, she will outlive me. But I can only do what
    I can do. Otherwise, she is a funny little cat and we enjoy her.
    At least you did not end up with any of the children!

I don't think at the university level. Ivory tower is not a complimentary term.
    Lots of terms are not complimentary -- like "old maid" or "crazy cat lady" -- but that does not make them accurate.

People who condemn the ivory tower (a place where you spent lots of time too, with all your fellowships and scholarships) forget all the public good that comes from our universities.

Here are a few things to remind you:
    -Cancer treatment research
    -Art shows
    -Athletic events
    -Concerts
    -Libraries (which are open to the non-students)
    -An educated citizenry (this is huge!)
    -Environmental conservation
    -Hospital services
    -Employment
    -All sorts of research (engineering, construction, medical, energy, etc.)

But yeah, Yppej, those are not really worth it. Be real here, Yppej.

You work for a university and say that is serving the public.

If you had worked for the State University of New York Stony Brook would that have been serving the public? What about when it was privatized and became Stony Brook University? Would you still be serving the public?

I don't think most people would consider working at a college a public service or a sacrifice, but I could be mistaken.
    I would agree that it is not a sacrifice and I have taught at Many public colleges and universities and unfortunately did not get any remuneration for education. But I guess the answer is to work for legisltion to get rid of programs you think are reverse Robinhood programs and work for free community college and undergrad.

Everyone sees things from their own vantage point and I doubt anyone's mind will be changed by discussing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I would agree that it is not a sacrifice and I have taught at Many public colleges and universities and unfortunately did not get any remuneration for education. But I guess the answer is to work for legisltion to get rid of programs you think are reverse Robinhood programs and work for free community college and undergrad.
    There are lots of people who think Robin Hood programs are stealing. Sound off, Right-wingers!

Yppej
    The public cannot borrow books from my state university's library. The state universities are where connected people (including Whitey Bulger's brother) have pulled down fat cat salaries, retirements, and golden parachutes. That's one reason tuition is so high.

The public cannot borrow books from my state university's library. The state universities are where connected people (including Whitey Bulger's brother) have pulled down fat cat salaries, retirements, and golden parachutes. That's one reason tuition is so high.
    It varies by university. At Bama we had a public services librarian to serve community members who got community patron cards. Some universities offer a service to borrow through inter-library loan the university's collection. But something to remember is that all members of the public can enroll in the university and therefore use the library.

The state universities are where connected people (including Whitey Bulger's brother) have pulled down fat cat salaries, retirements, and golden parachutes. That's one reason tuition is so high.
    You're right. Universities are basically the mafia. Yup.

Wow. Delusional much?

Thread Information