Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White men

White men

When I was leaving Florida and getting processed through the Orlando airport with my lady friend (who is black) something interesting happened.

When we got though the checkpoints and security and metal detectors and such and we were at the very last step, the TSA officer (a black male in his late 30s) checked our boarding passes and IDs. A strange interaction happened.

My ladyfriend and I were standing next to each other and he said: "Are you two...together?"

We said: "Yes."

He then paused, looked at us with an expression of mild disgust, and said: "Okay, come forward."

When we did so he took my ticket and my passport and looked at them, then ever-so briefly glanced at me. He then said "Okay...".

When he took my ladyfriend's ticket and passport he opened up the passport and said:
    "Mmmmm... what is this? Mmhmm. Ooh! You got that school girl look. Yeah..."

I looked at him like: "What the heck?!"

My ladyfriend made an uncomfortable giggle.

He kept grinning at her for a second and then gave her ticket and passport back.

Here is my question:

If, as most of my fellow liberals say, power plus prejudice is racism, was I a victim of racism committed by a black law enforcement officer who has power over me and prejudice against white men?

I would say my ladyfriend got the brunt of this inappropriate and ignorant comment, and I would also say there is sexism in there too.

But was I the victim of a small act of racism or even both racism and sexism?

I don't know how many times I've been told that racism cannot be attributed to a minority because they do not have power over anyone else. Personally, I think this is BS, but good luck finding anyone who will validate your suspicion.

That said, I don't think there was any racism or sexism involved in the interaction, he was simply exerting dominance over you by flirting with your girlfriend.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    That said, I don't think there was any racism or sexism involved in the interaction, he was simply exerting dominance over you by flirting with your girlfriend.
    I would say his attempt to exert dominance over me and his feeling of entitlement to attempt to flirt with my ladyfriend was racially motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I would say his attempt to exert dominance over me and his feeling of entitlement to attempt to flirt with my ladyfriend was racially motivated.
    Yes, but you're culturally indoctrinated to see race above all other qualities. Take it out of the equation and consider again.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yes, but you're culturally indoctrinated to see race above all other qualities. Take it out of the equation and consider again.
    Who culturally indoctrinated me?

So I have thought: Would he have made the same comment if my ladyfriend was white?

Or would he have made the same comment if I was black too?

I don't think he would have.

Interestingly, I was at an atheist dinner discussion group and I told them this story.

The SJWs present agreed with you, Alan. They said it was not racially motivated. They actually said: "Of course you think it is racially motivated, UL! You are a white man!"

One woman, not a full-fledged SJW said: "It could be a micro-aggression against you... Interesting." It was as though she thought micro-aggressions could not happen to a straight white male.

A couple of the guys there said: "It was clearly about race and it was an attack on UL's masculinity."

Any chance he may have suspected she was underage, or what was the schoolgirl comment about? And that could explain the disgust as well "another middle age guy with a minor - sick!".
    Trees don't grow on money

I think your SJW friends are right, but for the wrong reasons. They are (by definition) convinced that a minority cannot be racist because that is the provenance of whites only, they frame all interactions from that belief.
    I think the 'couple of guys there' are half right as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Any chance he may have suspected she was underage, or what was the schoolgirl comment about? And that could explain the disgust as well "another middle age guy with a minor - sick!".
    Uh... no. She is in her mid 40s. Her passport pic is several years old, but not that old. She had a different hairstyle back then and nerdy glasses in her passport pic. But her hair now is long, thick braids and she was not wearing glasses.

I think your SJW friends are right, but for the wrong reasons. They are (by definition) convinced that a minority cannot be racist because that is the provenance of whites only, they frame all interactions from that belief.
    I think the 'couple of guys there' are half right as well.
    It is interesting. You think that SJWs are convinced everything is racial. You seem convinced nothing is racial.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    It is interesting. You think that SJWs are convinced everything is racial. You seem convinced nothing is racial.
    No, some things are, just not everything.

Thread Information