Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: White men

Also at the atheist discussion some women railed and railed against white men. They literally said things like:

"White men will always stand in your way at a concert or block your view."
    "My friend was pregnant in NYC and white men never gave up their seat for her, only men of color would do that."
    "White men take up too much personal space, like when sitting they will 'manspread'."

Now, keep in mind I know that I know some of these women are married to white men and that at least one has a four year old white son. And these women themselves are white.

The white men's reactions around the table were most interesting.

A couple guys looked totally flabbergasted and offended, but were silent.
    Another guy said: "When I lived in Boston I would always give up my seat to a woman on public transit."
    One dude said to the ladies: "You are making a generalization." But he was not saying it as a critique, but as a way to justify their statements.

The middle comment was an observation.

are you sure this is in the right forum?

also, i’m Not sure what being married to a member of x group has to do with ones comments on x group. Is that like “some of my best friends are black?”

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    The middle comment was an observation.

are you sure this is in the right forum?

also, i’m Not sure what being married to a member of x group has to do with ones comments on x group. Is that like “some of my best friends are black?”
    We talk about all kinds of topics here. Gun control. Abortion. Religion. TV shows. Books. Etc. But if you really think this topic is somehow way, way off base for this forum... I can request it be deleted. If other chime in and want it gone I will gone it.

I actually think saying "Some of my best friends are black" is a rather strong refutation of an accusation of racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I actually think saying "Some of my best friends are black" is a rather strong refutation of an accusation of racism.
    I was unaware that it was possible to refute an accusation of racism.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I was unaware that it was possible to refute an accusation of racism.
    You've intrigued me. What do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    You've intrigued me. What do you mean?
    Once the accusation has been made, no amount of data, apology, contrition, self-criticism, confession, or wearing of the hairshirt will suffice to remove the stain.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Once the accusation has been made, no amount of data, apology, contrition, self-criticism, confession, or wearing of the hairshirt will suffice to remove the stain.
    That is horrible.

I was just thinking that this was not so much about your “relationship” perhaps the word I was looking for was “subforum”?

better communication concerning the “married to white men” detail - being married to a woman doesn’t imly you are a feminist, only that you are heterosexual/lesbian/queer (side note, I still flinch at the term “queer” due to generational social influences, but my teen age students assure me that it is the appropriate and acceptable grammatical usage in this type of sentence.)

Why is it necessary to put everything into a racial context? Isn’t it enough to say some people are jackholes and leave it at that?

What is gained by attributing traits to groups rather than individuals?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    I was just thinking that this was not so much about your “relationship” perhaps the word I was looking for was “subforum”?

better communication concerning the “married to white men” detail - being married to a woman doesn’t imly you are a feminist, only that you are heterosexual/lesbian/queer (side note, I still flinch at the term “queer” due to generational social influences, but my teen age students assure me that it is the appropriate and acceptable grammatical usage in this type of sentence.)
    You can use the "q" word, I think.

Thread Information