Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: White men

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Prague is close by and I heard it is prettier than Kraków.
    I have heard Prague is a very cool city!

Next time we go to Poland we will go there

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I have heard Prague is a very cool city!
    Prague is gorgeous, went there last fall.

If you are in that part of the world I highly reccomend Transylvania.
    a region of Romania. It is the real Romania because so much of
    Romania has been added onto and chopped out in various European wars. Transylvania has Lots of wild scenery, great European food, fabulous architecture. Castles, palaces, an
    Orthodox chirch on every corner.

Bucharest is crap, spend as little time there as possible, which is not to say there are not things to see there because there are some very special things. But it is basically ugly, the communists screwed it over.

God, I loved Romania!

I am trying to get excited about going to Morroco, one of the places on my top ten list. But
    I am getting bogged down by it being in sand country. I do not wish to see the Sahara desert and ride a camel.is there enough architecture to hold my interest? I dont know.

but the food would be sublime. Yes, I love eating.

Thanks for sharing IL. We will definitely include that next time. I have no desire to see Warsaw because it was totally bombed during the war and the communists built big ugly cement buildings. Ugh!

Now I am remembering Ma and Pa Kettle in Bucharesti (i.e. mr and mrs Iris Lily.) Sometimes we are so stupid!

For some reason,we refused to take a cab to the only big touristy place worth seeing in Bucharesti (of course, this is my opinion only!) and we walked for hours, I mean at least 4 hours, without getting there. Because we are cheap and also stupid. I blame some of this on DH who was our navigator.

But I will say, we saw a lot of the city, so there’s that.

The next day we used a cab to get to our destination which was The Village Museum, a most awesome outdoor multi-acre park that had 100 very small old farm houses, brought in from the countryside, each one a different style of architecture reflecting its region.

that cab ride cost about $8.

Dont be cheap and stupid like us!

It reminds me of cruises where some people don’t want to pay for tours at the destination. You are there such a short time that it is foolish to try and see stuff on your own. A regular trip is different since you have time to reverse your mistake.

"...but the food would be sublime. Yes, I love eating."

I do too! Not enough to travel to Romania--or any farther than Bellevue, at this point--but yours is a sentiment I can appreciate. None of this sanctimonious "I eat to live" crap.

I’m with Jane! If ever I win the lottery, I plan to eat my way around the world.

We used to be cheap and stupid. I remember feeling cheated by a three wheeled taxi driver in Delhi and got out to walk. We were actually talking about a dollar or two. Tour guy told us this would happen. Foreigners are charged more BUT in dollars it really can be pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Does public service have to be a sacrifice? I think it can be or it can be more like a calling, or even both.
    What distinguishes public service? A government paycheck? Plenty of people do work that serves the public without one. Both on a for-profit and non-profit basis.

Thread Information