Thread: UTI??

UTI??

I have so many painful/weird things going on with me, but 6 days ago I woke up with terrible pain over my lower abdomen. I waited a couple days, but it didn't go away. No other symptoms (than my usual craziness). Supposedly older people don't get the burning or other usual symptoms.

Finally on Friday, I just had to go to the E.R. They ran blood tests/UA/CT of the lower abdomen. I thought it was strange that they didn't use contrast for the CT scan, but they didn't think it was unusual.

The doc finally came in and said your urine is pretty clear with a few white cells, but enough to put you on antibiotics. I was sure it was an ovarian cyst, but he said no. He put me in a hefty dose of antibiotics (2g x7 days).......which will further wreck my already fairly dysfunctional gut.

I've been on Keflex for almost 3 days and the pain is still pretty bad. What the doc failed to mention (and I found out online) was that my WBC was 14,000....which is pretty indicative of an infection somewhere.

Anyhow........long story still long........I've never really had a UTI before. I've heard you usually feel better by 1-2 days after starting the antibiotic. What has your experience been with this?

I really don't want to go back to the E.R....and it will take awhile to see any doc. Do I just need to be more patient? Fortunately, I don't have my appendix. I have had diverticulitis before, but this feels totally different.

My pelvic organs are falling down, but that shouldn't raise my WBC count.

Seems like everything always happens on a Friday or a holiday weekend.

Has pain this long after starting antibiotics for a UTI taken this long or longer for any of you?
    Thanks!

Yppej
    When I have had UTIs I experienced a frequent urgency to urinate and stinging sensation when peeing. It was not general abdominal pain.

Possible PID? No constipation? Kidney stones? Pancreatitis?

Or a stomach bug that is viral and does not respond to antibiotics?
    Last edited by Yppej; 5-27-18 at 4:42pm.

I've had frequency for many years, so it's hard to know. Apparently, older people can have different symptoms than younger. I had no burning with urination. No PID or pancreatitis. I have IBS, so my gut sometimes has constipation, and then diarrhea. I suppose I could have a kidney stone in my bladder. I don't have any back flank pain though. It's not my upper abdomen. It in the suprapublic area........exactly where you feel menstrual cramps. Now I'm wondering about a fibroid.
    DD said she had pain like this for a couple of days with her UTI......but this just isn't budging.

The E.R. doc said he wouldn't be able to see a fibroid on the CT scan.

Yppej
    I had similar symptoms recently and was concerned due to a family history of ischemic colitis. An abdominal x-ray only showed constipation. Now I am mad at myself that I panicked and have run up medical bills of who knows what. I have a deductible, then coinsurance, and I don't believe the radiologist is in network. If the original disorder doesn't get to you our medical system just might, and like you say help is limited on weekends except for the ER. You have my sympathies.

UTI = lots of fluids. Have you increased liquids? I will say that with a UTI it does seem one can flush out the germs, literally, with lots of water or other fluid. Try adding pure cranberry juice, but not sugar sweetened juices as sugar is bad for the bladder.

When resting in a warm bath, does the pain go away? I've gotten relief from a nice warm soak.

Could be a bug that needs to be cultured to find the right antibiotic to kill it off. Maybe a second round of the type you've got, or maybe something new.

Thanks everyone. I've finished with the antibiotic, but I don't think it helped. My gynecologist thinks it's pain from my pelvic organs falling down. Actually, everything I own is falling down.

Thread Information