Thread: Suicide rates are up 30 percent since 1999, CDC says

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    20% are unemployed. Well unemployment in linked to 1 in 5 suicides worldwide. (of course some number, though I don't know what, are probably linked to horrible job conditions too - cheery thoughts here )

1 in 5 suicides worldwide caused by unemployment:
    http://zeenews.india.com/news/sci-te...y_1544827.html

I was thinking depression is no one thing either, I mean even leaving out things that aren't depression AT ALL like time-limited grief (and yet when my dad died the fantasies of joining him were there). There is just chronic dysthymia which is mostly grumpiness, and there is severe depression, there is depression with no discernible cause in one's circumstances and I've definitely seen people claim their lives are great and yet they have serious biological depression, and depression very much directly caused by circumstances whatever else also plays in, and everything in between.

And as for suicides there are a few that are really euthanasia due to chronic and fatal physical disease, Robin William's probably was, and these probably really shouldn't be lumped in (they are neither "mental health" nor social problems but an age old problem known as "dying"), but I don't think these are counted differently.
    Robin Williams' suicide was perfectly understandable to me: Lewy body dementia is a terrible illness. You can add people who are going bankrupt due to medical expenses, people with unmanageable pain, people with all kinds of medical-related issues to the mix.
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 6-8-18 at 4:16pm.

Thread Information