Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suicide rates are up 30 percent since 1999, CDC says

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Suicide rates are up 30 percent since 1999, CDC says

This is a disconcerting piece of news.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...c-says-n880926

Thoughts?

Wow. What a coincidence. I was just googling suicide after reading an article about Kate Spade. A friend had posted an article on FB.

I find the article's findings tragic. 42% had a relationship problem; 28% had substance abuse issues, and then there were a host of other problems, leading the author to conclude: “We think helping overcome the [social] isolation [brought on in part by social media] can improve the connectedness.”

But we really never know how alone people feel when judging them from the outside, which was the thesis of the article I read about Kate Spade.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Just read that Anthony Bourdain has killed himself. 61y.o.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Just read that Anthony Bourdain has killed himself. 61y.o.
    It takes a lot to shock me anymore, but this news managed to. I've always assessed Bourdain as consummately self-satisfied and (I guess) impervious to outside influences. Which probably has nothing to do with the likelihood of taking one's own life. I learned a lot from his travel shows.

Williamsmith
    For those of you who are willing to be scoffed at and ridiculed by deniers......you may find answers in this document that suggests “climate change” is a very real suspect in this mystery. I find it intriguing.

https://www.apa.org/news/press/relea...th-climate.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    For those of you who are willing to be scoffed at and ridiculed by deniers......you may find answers in this document that suggests “climate change” is a very real suspect in this mystery. I find it intriguing.

https://www.apa.org/news/press/relea...th-climate.pdf
    thanks for posting, I'll read this later. Never thought about this as a potential stressor.

Another fact I learned it that suicide is more prevalent in higher altitudes.

It is very sad, and a lot of this to me seems to be about our connections with families, friends, etc. We are pretty disconnected, it is so easy to just not call or check in on people.

I know my daughter is going through a significant break up and she is very upset that her friends have not checked on her or reached out in any way. She has 2 that are staying her friends. I have had that experience where people REALLY do not reach out, either to lend an ear or to just go to coffee. I am not so worried about her, she has our family who regularly checks on her, but a lot of people are not that fortunate. I know my uncle now just lives with his sister because every time he lives alone he starts drinking. He was a successful professional but being alone is too much.

So sad for everyone involved. I would have myself locked up before committing suicide if I had a child at home. Or I hope that I would have. I feel so bad for everyone involved.

42% had a relationship problem; 28% had substance abuse issues, and then there were a host of other problems
    20% are unemployed. Well unemployment in linked to 1 in 5 suicides worldwide. (of course some number, though I don't know what, are probably linked to horrible job conditions too - cheery thoughts here )

1 in 5 suicides worldwide caused by unemployment:
    http://zeenews.india.com/news/sci-te...y_1544827.html

I was thinking depression is no one thing either, I mean even leaving out things that aren't depression AT ALL like time-limited grief (and yet when my dad died the fantasies of joining him were there). There is just chronic dysthymia which is mostly grumpiness, and there is severe depression, there is depression with no discernible cause in one's circumstances and I've definitely seen people claim their lives are great and yet they have serious biological depression, and depression very much directly caused by circumstances whatever else also plays in, and everything in between.

And as for suicides there are a few that are really euthanasia due to chronic and fatal physical disease, Robin William's probably was, and these probably really shouldn't be lumped in (they are neither "mental health" nor social problems but an age old problem known as "dying"), but I don't think these are counted differently.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information