Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mexico this Monday, 6/11.....

WhenI saw the thread title I thought you were announcing you were moving to Mexico on this Monday-6-11.

I go to Algodones, MX rather than Nogales. It is smaller and, for me, more fun. I like to run down to that area every once in awhile, anyway. Cheap glasses, dentists, and great food.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    IL: if we had universal health care you would still be free to pay for health care anywhere in the world.
    You’re right! We have private healthcare, but only my husband uses it. However, I might change the habit of a lifetime if my scheduled NHS cataract op (first one, the second gets scheduled after completion of the first op) gets delayed for any reason.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Going down to Mexico this Monday, June 11th to get my teeth cleaned, get two dental night guards made, and to stock up on Retin A. Of course living where I do in a heavily Hispanic neighborhood I keep track of what is going on between Trump and Mexico and it's not looking good. Though I don't read the future I fear this may be my last time in Nogales - I don't consider it one bit unrealistic that Mexico may make it difficult for US citizens to access the country for affordable medical and dental....not good, but as I said, I don't read the future and I do hope things don't come to this. But being me I'm already making plans A, B, and C as I have zilch trust or faith in this situation.

But at least barring something dramatic happening the next 72 hours, I can have this day in Mexico and also dinner with relatives in Nogales, and a Cousin I keep hearing about in Hermosillo is coming up to visit too so I'm looking forward to that. I'll have nice, clean teeth for $35 anyway. And this time I'm hoping to find a license plate at one of the stalls selling junk from Mexico City........been looking for one for years and I can't ever find one. Rob
    Wow $35 is a lot for a cleaning. I pay $10 in Merida. Fly in to Cancun on my Southwest credit card miles when the flights are cheap, only have to pay for the airport tax. I do have to take a 5 hour bus over, but that is comfy and restful. I get a nice $30 a night hotel including buffet breakfast, and taxis are only $2, or can get a bus for 35 cents. I love Merida, Yucatan, very safe and a beautiful old historic city. Trip pays for itself if you have to get a crown or filling. I paid $10 for a panoramic xray too.

I pay about $75 for a cleaning here, in the USA, in cash, for I have no dental insurance.

I don't have to spend any time traveling, as the dental office is right down the block from one of my work offices. I don't have to spend $50 for the ferry to the mainland, then the time and gas to drive an hour or two to Canada or to Seattle to catch a plane. I don't have to pay for extra meals or hotel rooms.

I figure I'm coming out ahead on the deal.

The only dental work I ever traveled for was when I as talking about spending thousands of dollars. then it was to Kansas and still came out way ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I pay about $75 for a cleaning here, in the USA, in cash, for I have no dental insurance.

I don't have to spend any time traveling, as the dental office is right down the block from one of my work offices. I don't have to spend $50 for the ferry to the mainland, then the time and gas to drive an hour or two to Canada or to Seattle to catch a plane. I don't have to pay for extra meals or hotel rooms.

I figure I'm coming out ahead on the deal.
    Yeah we are close to,that, $90+ for a cleaning if we pay cash. No insurance. Dont want it.

Every few years DH has a dental event that costs a bit. This time it was a special exam from a referred dentist ($60) and an extraction for $240. Total bill $ 300.

That seemed reasonable to me. We dont have dental insurance and dont intend to get it, and we spend probably $600-$700 in an average year with no “events” but even with events, it is not that expensive for us. My teeth seem impervious to rot but at some point I may have gum issues.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-20-18 at 9:50am.

I go to the dentist every 6 months or so. It’s about a five mile drive. I don’t always see the dentist, sometimes I just see the dental hygienists for a cleaning. I see the eye doctor much more frequently, at least 3 times a year. They are always running test for glaucoma. I don’t have glaucoma, but say I’m a candidate. I guess someone has to pay for their fancy testing equipment. I haven’t seen a medical doctor in years, I get blood work and a physical once a year, I only see the nurse practitioner. My wife goes very frequently, she has had breast cancer. Everything is within 5 miles or so.

I have insurance, dental and vision is relatively cheap. I don’t know what it cost exactly. My premiums have dropped this year to $1450 a month for everything. I’m not sure what my deductible is, except we meet it every year due to the wifes frequent visits and medicines.

Thread Information