Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BLS says Job Openings > Number of Unemployed

We are having a big crisis here with rents being unaffordable. If something isn’t done there won’t be any workers in low wage jobs.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We are having a big crisis here with rents being unaffordable. If something isn’t done there won’t be any workers in low wage jobs.
    Or the employer will have to provide housing. That is done in my area for migrant apple pickers from Jamaica.

That would be a great solution but land here is very expensive and huge lack of inventory because they quit building in 2006. Also they tore down most of the affordable housing downtown and are putting in upscale apartments and condominiums.

When Obama care came in almost all of us adjuncts lost work because colleges did not want to pay health benefits and limited our hours.
    Still cannot get those classes back so just because there might be an opening does not really help if the won't hire for more than 6 credit hours per semester

Tybee, that is a bummer. Always unintended consequences seem to occur. You haven’t been able to work for more than one university? Luckily I only want to teach one class although I teach summers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Tybee, that is a bummer. Always unintended consequences seem to occur. You haven’t been able to work for more than one university? Luckily I only want to teach one class although I teach summers too.
    Terry I started teaching when I was pregnant with my son who is now 36. I made 1999 per class. Today I make 1499 for same class. These are not adjusted dollars. I do teach for more than one but work has dried up and age discrimination is real.

Yppej
    I was originally planning to get a PhD in English but when I saw how academia is run I changed my mind. Several excellent teachers I know have been stuck adjuncting forever, even if they have published. Meanwhile in my state at least huge salaries and hundreds of thousands of dollars per person in cashed out sick and vacation time go to people at the top, many of whom have no educational experience but are political hacks including Billy Bulger, long suspected of having hidden the whereabouts of his brother Whitey Bulger.

There are other scandals too in the state, like nonexistent overtime by police officers, leading to a recent shutdown of Troop E. It is disappointing that our government is not a meritocracy. While there are certainly among public sector employees many good and dedicated full-time employees, I am not convinced that they are on average better human beings than those working in the private sector or those who lack the political connections to get full-time tenured positions in the public sector.

Tybee, that is horrible. I get paid 222 per student because the funding source is different for online classes. I teach 39 students in fall and spring and 20 in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    IL, you are so amusing in your bias. Do you really think that the world started existing in January 2017? Really?

Job cycles go on much longer than one year. You know that. Depressions go on beyond one year. The triggers are set in place for highs or lows well in advance of them happening.

From John Mauldin's newsletter:
    McKinsey calculated that...

... A lot of that debt is rated BBB, the lowest investment grade rating. For the glass half-empty crowd, that means they are just one step above junk.
    Lots of graphs and background information to these points at: https://www.mauldineconomics.com
    The uemployment numbers are good, that is indisputable. You are not required to give Trump credit, and realistically he only gets some credit. But since he is sitting in the seat,
    I’ll give it to him.

Your quoted material doesnt address unemployment, it is about debt. The debt problem everywhere is not good. You cannot find a post from me anywhere here that talks about any other government issue as more important than debt.

There is a good article in The Week on this topic:
    http://theweek.com/articles/777601/a...b-market-years

Thread Information