Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pizza delivery man. What don’t I understand?

Those pizza delivery jobs are much too valuable to be squandered on illegals. No wonder grandma can’t find a job.
    certainly when people said the hypothetical (or not) unemployed waiter should work fast food temporarily I thought ... um the demographics of the people doing fast food (here anyway) uh it's immigrants and I don't know how many are legal or not, so I'm not sure it's that easy to get otherwise ...
    Trees don't grow on money

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Australia grants special work visas to do jobs the locals don’t want to do and no need for people to sneak in.
    so does the US

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/wo...elines-2064270

plus if you arrive by boat, even seeking asylum you face a lifetime visa ban
    https://www.thebalancecareers.com/wo...elines-2064270

there is no birthright citizenship

only doing the jobs locals don't want to do would be decreased immigration, besides although some things may have always been done by immigrants one might ask why locals wanted to do certain jobs 20-30 years ago (like construction) and now suddenly don't. Have they all just become too soft? All of the them? Likely story.
    Trees don't grow on money

Austria also has proposals to limit welfare unless you learn german. Plus some interesting info on Turkey

https://ahvalnews.com/austria/austri...gners-refugees

Many countries are placing restrictions on women face coverings

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab_by_country

in Canada many asylum seekers are being deported

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...der/683297002/

there is a worldwide movement going on.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    there is a worldwide movement going on.
    I don't know that it's a movement, that would imply that sovereign nations just recently developed immigration policies and enforcements. I've never understood why anyone would think that every nation has open borders except the US, and we only do because we're racists.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Australia’s system is much different than ours and much easier to go there to work. I can’t remember the specifics and too sick to look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    only doing the jobs locals don't want to do would be decreased immigration, besides although some things may have always been done by immigrants one might ask why locals wanted to do certain jobs 20-30 years ago (like construction) and now suddenly don't. Have they all just become too soft? All of the them? Likely story.
    If it is indeed the case that US citizens no longer want to do construction jobs it's probably for the same reason they don't want to pick fruit. The employers figured out that they could cut the pay below what an american is willing to do the work for and still get the work done.

Until we impose meaningful penalties on employers who hire undocumented workers the problem isn't going to be resolved. Perhaps we need a law that if an employer is found to have an undocumented worker on their payroll they need to then sponsor them for a green card.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I don't know that it's a movement, that would imply that sovereign nations just recently developed immigration policies and enforcements. I've never understood why anyone would think that every nation has open borders except the US, and we only do because we're racists.
    honestly many of the statements Trump has made were very racist. If he would put the tweet machine down and not speak off the cuff I swear his approval rating would be Far above the 50th percentile. as these individual stories are being shown by the mainstream media it is often not the case that racism is the issue. It is more about violating laws and the question of assimilating into a very different culture and customs. I for one understand much more clearly what the message is. I don’t agree with all of it but Jp1’s comment about wages is one of them. Many people that are native born are really struggling to get ahead no matter how hard they try. Reaching a call center from an American company where you cannot understand whom you are talking to, or having to listen to a long message in Spanish before making an MD appointment adds to people’s concerns and frustrations. One of my kids on Election Day walked by a polling center and there was a sign outside the building in about six different languages. Should you at least know the language before you can vote? And I know many teachers and school volunteers who have been very frustrated with kids being plopped into their class not knowing a word of English, and even after years of being in the US their parents not knowing basic English communication. So all of these issues, plus the isolated crime incidents got us here

I don’t think I will ever like Trump. He really is a mean bully that would have been fired in most other jobs. But I am seeing more and more why he got elected.

Yppej
    I am watching a story on this now. Pablo is from Ecuador. I have a friend who came here legally from there and will not go back to visit because he would be arrested for draft dodging. It does not appear this is a case of someone coming here fearing for his life.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    honestly many of the statements Trump has made were very racist. If he would put the tweet machine down and not speak off the cuff I swear his approval rating would be Far above the 50th percentile. as these individual stories are being shown by the mainstream media it is often not the case that racism is the issue. It is more about violating laws and the question of assimilating into a very different culture and customs.
    You can't speak of immigration policy as if they were all created by Trump. The Federal Government took control of immigration policies from the states over 200 years ago and started really tamping down on legal immigration over 50 years ago when the Feds became enamored with creating a welfare state and needed to control just how many immigrants they could support. If we are a nation of representative government and the rule of law, we can't treat immigration as a feel good solution available to the entire population of the world and we shouldn't be surprised when laws are enforced.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information