Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pizza delivery man. What don’t I understand?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    You can't speak of immigration policy as if they were all created by Trump. The Federal Government took control of immigration policies from the states over 200 years ago and started really tamping down on legal immigration over 50 years ago when the Feds became enamored with creating a welfare state and needed to control just how many immigrants they could support. If we are a nation of representative government and the rule of law, we can't treat immigration as a feel good solution available to the entire population of the world and we shouldn't be surprised when laws are enforced.
    I agree with you but Trump is unique in how he has named called and implied, or sometimes outright said illegals are rapists, murderers, M13 members or Muslim terrorists. It does seem like many people cry unfair as when this person ignored a deportation order. But are we a nation of laws or not?

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    But are we a nation of laws or not?
    Well, we have changed our focus from judicial justice to social justice in many cases but I'm holding out hope we'll reverse ourselves before too much more damage is done.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Well, we have changed our focus from judicial justice to social justice in many cases but I'm holding out hope we'll reverse ourselves before too much more damage is done.
    Not as long as we have a president who thinks he's literally above the law.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Not as long as we have a president who thinks he's literally above the law.
    In some relatively unimportant ways, he is, as have previous presidents. I suspect though that we'll sort all that out soon enough without lasting harm to anything important. Presidents come and go, we survived Jimmy Carter and we'll survive Trump.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

As I see it T is just encouraging a strict enforcement of a law that is on the books but has been ignored or lax enforcement for years or decades (thus the word illegal). I could spread any blame that is to be placed as much on our congressional representatives who have failed to replace or improve the laws as times and public attitudes have changed. As liberal as I may be there seems to be some sort of majority that has elected T and our other officials and immigration reform has been part of their base platform. I cannot blame a guard at a military base for reporting a legal violation any more than blaming the rest of the people involved in the decision making processes.

Rogar, all true

latest news from Europe
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44432056

ship not being allowed to dock in Italy with 629Human being on board.

Such an awful world we we live in where people flee their homelands, some for very good reasons but they have nowhere to go.

In some relatively unimportant ways, he is, as have previous presidents. I suspect though that we'll sort all that out soon enough without lasting harm to anything important. Presidents come and go, we survived Jimmy Carter and we'll survive Trump.
    So you think loudly announcing to the world that he could pardon himself is relatively unimportant?

Personally i think one of the worst things that ever happened to this country was the day Ford pardoned Nixon. The horrible precedent that set will forever be a stain on the country.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    So you think loudly announcing to the world that he could pardon himself is relatively unimportant?
    Saying something is different than doing something, and the concept has never really been tested so there's arguments to be made pro and con. If/when he tries, that's when it will all be sorted out.

Saying something is different than doing something, and the concept has never really been tested so there's arguments to be made pro and con. If/when he tries, that's when it will all be sorted out.
    if Hillary said something like that your head would be spinning around, your hair would be bursting into flames and the screech would be heard on the moon. Just sayin’ you wouldn’t be saying it would all be sorted out. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Just sayin’ you wouldn’t be saying it would all be sorted out. Seriously.
    I'm not your enemy, but you don't know that.

Thread Information