Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pizza delivery man. What don’t I understand?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I totally agree Flowers. Alan, just because you disagree with someone doesn’t make them your enemy.
    It's not the disagreement, it's the constant references to what I think or believe or would do. You can tell what someone thinks of you by the way they attribute qualities to you.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I think it's time we thanked France for the sentiment and retired the Statue of Liberty--it's clearly no longer relevant.
    The Statue of Liberty represents America's independence from Great Britain and will always be relevant. I think you mean The New Colossus, a poem written to raise money for a new pedestal and then placed on the pedestal nearly 20 years later. That probably should be retired as it is now a sentiment no nation can afford.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

That's a giant leap Alan. I know a few people very close to me that voted for him. One is a old woman that I am guessing couldn't vote for a woman. The few people who I know aren't racist although I think many of his supporters are. I think some people blindly vote their party ticket no matter who is on it. Some educated people that aren't racist and probably could vote for a woman voted for him too. Who knows why? However, I think a big percentage of his voters were either racist, don't want a woman in power or uneducated and hoping for a miracle worker to bring jobs back that are long gone. Everyone that voted for him have their reasons and it doesn't make all of them terrible people.

I was just on a several week driving tour of mostly Trump-voting states. Inhabited by the "deplorables".

Instead of filling up the car and dining at freeway interchanges, we took the time to drive into small towns and villages to eat at local mom+pop places, and chat up the locals.

My takeaway is that it would be a grave mistake to cast them as racist, sexist, uneducated, unemployed bumkins who would have voted for Clinton if only they were "woke".

Many are hard core republicans who won't deviant from their party. Also didn't I say not everyone????

Many are hard core republicans who won't deviant from their party. Also didn't I say not everyone????
    You said "a big percentage". "Not everyone" is a common rhetorical technique, of course....

I didn't, by the way, get the sense that many of the folks I talked to were "hard core" members of any particular party. Convenient though that story might be.

What Trump virtues did they perceive that the majority of voters is blind to? Kindness, thoughtfulness, an understanding of the constitution? Respect for the rule of law? Desire to represent all the people of the country? Wide-ranging intelligence, good character and moral values, desire for peace in our time? Civility? Because I don't see anything good in the man inhabiting the White House. Nothing at all. He's exhibited a willingness to service the Republicans' desire for deregulation and to slash taxes for corporations and the wealthy among us...Is that it?

ETA: I thought of one thing--he's unwaveringly true to his principles of duplicity, greed, and self-aggrandizement. I suppose consistency (even while being inconsistent) is a good thing.

That's a giant leap Alan. I know a few people very close to me that voted for him. One is a old woman that I am guessing couldn't vote for a woman. The few people who I know aren't racist although I think many of his supporters are. I think some people blindly vote their party ticket no matter who is on it. Some educated people that aren't racist and probably could vote for a woman voted for him too. Who knows why? However, I think a big percentage of his voters were either racist, don't want a woman in power or uneducated and hoping for a miracle worker to bring jobs back that are long gone. Everyone that voted for him have their reasons and it doesn't make all of them terrible people.
    What leap is that? I don't think I mentioned Trump so I think it must have been made elsewhere.

if they were unemployed, uneducated (or working poor or under-employed etc. etc.) they would be sympathetic if wrong*. If they are none of these things then scratch the sympathetic part (and we are just left with wrong).

* Trump is not helping any of these economic issues any
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information