Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wildfires (Durango CO area for instance)

Coworker came back from Colorado a week ago and mentioned that it was pretty dry out there. Was in Durango area as well as Utah.

It is dreadfully dry here in Colorado and seems like there are new fires everyday. One south of us is now at 25000 acres. The smoke in the air is making our eyes sting but we don't have AC. Fourth of July scares me this year even being in the city. All these dry pine trees, wooden fences and dry brush and lots of imbeciles who will be setting off firecrackers even though it's illegal.

I'm about 15 miles from the Klamathon fire in Northern California. We haven't had much smoke so far. About 600 people have been evacuated and as many work here in Southern Oregon a lot of people are reaching out to help.

The destruction is frightening, but disasters do seem to bring out the best in people.

No chance of appreciable rain till September

Not sure about the Durango area fire, but those a little closer to me have been determined to be human-caused. One was using tracer bullets at a shooting range and two others let their campfires get out of control. I think there must be a lot of drifters in our area (coming for the pot maybe?) who aren't very knowledgable about forests and fire in a drought situation, ie no open flames. And a lot of yo-yos throwing out cigarette butts. Just plain dumb...

Thread Information