Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How often are people anxious

I feel more balanced since menopause. I love not dealing with the monthly cycles. It didn't cause me any anxiety at all - quite the opposite.

During peri -menopause I had a few fierce temper tantrums and crying jags, but that didn't last long (around 6 months.)

I have general anxiety disorder, which is much less obtrusive since I started taking Wellbutrin. It sometimes manifests as panic attacks, especially in crowded situations when I feel trapped. I’ve gotten off buses and walked long distances when I couldn’t breathe it down. It’s part of a suite of disorders including episodic major depression and PTSD. Basically, the anxiety means I’m always looking for a peg to hang it on! As an empath, I pick up on other people’s mental and physical dark energies and amplify them in my own body if I don’t consciously shield myself.

Yes, I get situationally nervous, but that just keys me up, as others have said. It leads to speaker’s high, exam high and writer’s high as well as better performance.

I manage my stuff with a toolkit of awareness, nutrition, and recently with resistance-band exercise. Wellbutrin threw open the door and set out a welcome mat into a world I’d never known! It’s a sensory world with colour and light and flavors and even phases of delight. Relaxation podcasts help. I like guided imagery - I do badly with meditation, which makes me anxious.

I did CBT, biofeedback training, and autogenics. I find it really helps to stop, breathe, and stop ricocheting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I feel more balanced since menopause. I love not dealing with the monthly cycles. It didn't cause me any anxiety at all - quite the opposite.

During peri -menopause I had a few fierce temper tantrums and crying jags, but that didn't last long (around 6 months.)
    I remember that a friend of mine was going through menopause around the same time as I was. Neither of us cry much if at all. But during those days of changing hormones, tears welled up often.

She and I were working on a neighborhood project and came to loggerheads with the President of our group who is a pretty good friend of ours. We threatened to just start crying if he didnt let is have our way, and he back away slowly, resigned to the power of female hormones and frankly, and little bit scared.

Too funny IL.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I

She and I were working on a neighborhood project and came to loggerheads with the President of our group who is a pretty good friend of ours. We threatened to just start crying if he didnt let is have our way, and he back away slowly, resigned to the power of female hormones and frankly, and little bit scared.
    How funny! I recall the Boy Scout leader going through menopause and screaming at other drivers in the school pick up line for wanting to turn left. After a few of those incidents we got a group email explaining what was going on for her, she got some treatment and was back to normal.

I think hormonal highs and lows can reveal truths and emotions we usually keep under wraps. Dd goes through some serious PMS venting every month and it clears the air (though sadly she often feels sorry afterwards.)

Expressing emotions is a good thing, though our particular culture may not approve.

Thread Information