Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often are people anxious

How often are people anxious

Maybe I am just not aware how often people are anxious, then I am more anxious thinking that I am the only one being stupidly anxious.

Tomorrow I open a camp that I took over with 1 1/2 weeks notice. Lots of things were done ahead so I think we are okay, but now I am totally anxious about the shopping. I really didn't want to spend my entire weekend dealing with this so I am going to WalMart to get materials (already shopped at the recycle store for teachers and Target). There are some things I need to order on Amazon, however we have no clue how many kids we are getting. I am not anxious about getting 170 kids on the correct buses or managing the program, just that I may make a mistake with shopping.

I also am doing much better in my job now that I have a very mild anxiety med and use it for paperwork. Yes paperwork. I have literally spent decades trying to manage the paperwork and details of life, just sending a card and gift on time or balancing a checkbook. I have talked it through with counselors, over-used my friends, and then had all the impact of not handling things as well as I could. I was doing pretty good until the divorce/foreclosure/bankruptcy of course.

Anyone else have weird anxieties?

Not weird anxieties but the usual ones that I expect to have before any new event or activity. I find that it helps me work through all the variables that might occur and helps me anticipate some solutions. Then I let it go and see what unfolds.

I could not imagine life without some anxieties to deal with life's challenges. It helped me work through what I would need in income, a new home under new circumstances, how to mix and mingle with new neighbours. I search out and prepare solutions to resolve the challenges, some work, some don't but I let it all go after a while.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I’ve had two seasons of adjustment disorder - both having to do with big career changes. Both lasted about 6 months. Both times it was hard to concentrate and keep my home and desk organized. Both times I recovered and returned to my typically organized life.

It’s no fun.

A guy who was going to roast a pig for a fund raiser had a totally sleepless night, anxious that somebody might burgle the pig the night before the fundraiser. Small town. No crime. But the anxiety was over the possibility that a new criminal element could appear!

I get nervous when I start a new project, especially if I haven't worked with the client before, but I feel the I should be nervous. My opinion is if I'm not nervous I'm not giving the job the attention it deserves--if I were to be completely at ease when starting a brand new project, that would smack of arrogance. I try to make my nerves work for me--they put me in high alert, and when I'm nervous, I usually do a better job.

But I'm not generally anxious. My best friend in high school told me I'd never have a heart attack, because I was so laid back all the time. I'm still pretty much that way. But that doesn't mean I never get worried or anxious.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Maybe, its normal to have a mild anxiety but too much of it is quite disturbing. I tend to worry about certain things once in a while too.

Dado, I had to laugh. My brother invites me out to Iowa for pig roasts every year (I am vegetarian), but I don't think he gets anxious.

My sister has a lot of anxiety, a few medications and regular therapy to help with it. I did tell her once that some anxiety is good. Have you ever gone to a party given by someone with no anxiety at all. They are likely to have no chips and not care that much. Some does make me prepare better, however I tend towards obsessive thoughts so it is too much in some cases. It has been worse this year because when I am at the point when I just need to talk something through which will both calm me down and lead to better decisions I have called the boss that does the exact opposite of anything helpful. I still need to talk to him but maybe this year I can find a different person for the 'talk through' part at least.

I wouldn't say I get anxious planning things. It's more in my head - just concern that I tick off all the boxes on my to-do list.

I think of anxiety as a more physical thing, how you feel on a crowded overheated subway that just broke down.

I always get anxious when there is an unexpected bump under my kayak. I've convinced myself that some day a dead body will float up next to me.
    I know what I'll do...call 911 with my location and stay with 'it'. Make a statement. But that doesn't stop me from having a full body shiver every time there is a bump. Usually it's a log just floating below the surface....but someday.....
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

zoe, i think it is clear that your anxiety is part of your mental illness and it interferes in major ways with your life. Hence, it is good that you get treatment that includes drugs that help you. It is so great to hear from you that you are able to mitigate stressful situations with low doses. What a positive step this is, you seeking treatment and following dr’s orders as well as modulating the dosages you take. Really a big step forward!

As far as my own “anxiety” I do remember, decades ago, learning that a bit of anxiety is a good tool. Like others above have mentioned, ramping up anxiety to take on new things like academic tests resulted in better outcome. The “anxiety” caused me to focus on the test, banish distractions, walk around circulating blood in my brain and to think about possible test questions. It made me hyper sensitive to the task at hand.

Prior to that I was laid back and come-what-may about tests and did not do as well.

But that is not clinical anxiety, it is a self regulated state and as such is a useful tool, not harmful.

Thread Information