Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unseemly food indulgences

In my youth it would of been any bag of chip and dip. Especially ruffles original with a container of french onion dip. Then I moved on to tortillas and homemade salsa.
    Today....it's a bag of cherries. Don't touch them! They are all mine!!!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Dude! If there are pics, please post one. Sounds like one hell of an indulgence! Wow!
    Alas I just sent the cookbooks to the library for the yearly library book sale, but it takes several days to prepare and a good 9-12 hours to cook on Serving Day. It makes 40-60 pounds of food, depending on the size of the birds and whatnot. We used a neighbor's oven for the final day, so as to have ours free for cooking The Rest Of Thanksgiving:

https://www.thefooddictator.com/paul...mes-turducken/

A more modern approach that remedies some of the traditional problems:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/...turducken.html

We did not have these problems with ours, I suspect because we followed Prudhomme's recipes carefully, and his stuffings are rather structural, and contain enough fats to prevent dryness in the meats.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    In my youth it would of been any bag of chip and dip. Especially ruffles original with a container of french onion dip. Then I moved on to tortillas and homemade salsa.
    Today....it's a bag of cherries. Don't touch them! They are all mine!!!
    Cherries are not at all unseemly. Sure, a bag of "torts" and salsa is not super healthy, but now really bad either. Now that Ruffles and French onion dip... that is what I'm talkin' about! Whoo! Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Alas I just sent the cookbooks to the library for the yearly library book sale, but it takes several days to prepare and a good 9-12 hours to cook on Serving Day. It makes 40-60 pounds of food, depending on the size of the birds and whatnot. We used a neighbor's oven for the final day, so as to have ours free for cooking The Rest Of Thanksgiving:

https://www.thefooddictator.com/paul...mes-turducken/

A more modern approach that remedies some of the traditional problems:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/...turducken.html

We did not have these problems with ours, I suspect because we followed Prudhomme's recipes carefully, and his stuffings are rather structural, and contain enough fats to prevent dryness in the meats.

That is a real turducken! Yum!

I enjoyed a few delightful dishes of tater tot casserole, but doubt I will ever have it again. Chili cheese fries are on my bucket list for a one time dabble into indulgence.

back in the days when I was 5' 8" and 115 pounds no matter what I ate I didn't even think about what went in my mouth foodwise. Probably the nuttiest thing I did was eat an 8 ounce thing of chocolate cream cheese. It was just so rich and so good. And I suffered no consequences.

Today I'm much more aware. But a couple of times a year I take people out for a work lunch at a hamburger place by the office that does insane chocolate shakes. Super large with super high quality chocolate ice cream. I'm in heaven at the time but once i get back to the office afterwards I'm as wrecked as I would be if I'd had a few beers instead. But, oh...., it's so worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    back in the days when I was 5' 8" and 115 pounds no matter what I ate I didn't even think about what went in my mouth foodwise. Probably the nuttiest thing I did was eat an 8 ounce thing of chocolate cream cheese. It was just so rich and so good. And I suffered no consequences.

Today I'm much more aware. But a couple of times a year I take people out for a work lunch at a hamburger place by the office that does insane chocolate shakes. Super large with super high quality chocolate ice cream. I'm in heaven at the time but once i get back to the office afterwards I'm as wrecked as I would be if I'd had a few beers instead. But, oh...., it's so worth it.
    Your youth must have been so great!

The hamburger place must be popular with shakes like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Chili cheese fries are on my bucket list for a one time dabble into indulgence.
    One time dabbles? If only that were possible for me! haha
    If it was, I would go to dime-a-dog night at the Columbus Clippers game.

I know my WT shows when I say this, but I love me some hot dogs smothered in condiments -- especially mustard! At the local ballpark you get five at a time, a dime each.

WT foodgasm! Dreamy!

I used to pack away quite a bit of ice cream--my favorite indulgence back then. Banana splits with whipped cream and the works.

Now, I don't have any crazy food meltdowns, but I'm a "sliverer". If there's a pie on the kitchen table, I cut a sliver...then another...then another... then another. And before I know it, DH is asking, "Who ate the pie???"

The most surprising meltdown I had in a while was after I finally felt a break from an incredibly stressful week. I was driving past McDonalds. Since I hadn't eaten ANY meat in a decade and therefore hadn't been to a McDonalds in all that time, it was quite surprising to me that on that particular day I just made a swift impulsive turn into the drive thru and got two hamburgers, fries, and a shake and sat there in the parking lot and scarfed them down. And enjoyed it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

The most surprising meltdown I had in a while was after I finally felt a break from an incredibly stressful week. I was driving past McDonalds. Since I hadn't eaten ANY meat in a decade and therefore hadn't been to a McDonalds in all that time, it was quite surprising to me that on that particular day I just made a swift impulsive turn into the drive thru and got two hamburgers, fries, and a shake and sat there in the parking lot and scarfed them down. And enjoyed it.
    Respectable levels of unseemly!

Thread Information