Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unseemly food indulgences

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I used to pack away quite a bit of ice cream--my favorite indulgence back then. Banana splits with whipped cream and the works.

Now, I don't have any crazy food meltdowns, but I'm a "sliverer". If there's a pie on the kitchen table, I cut a sliver...then another...then another... then another. And before I know it, DH is asking, "Who ate the pie???"

The most surprising meltdown I had in a while was after I finally felt a break from an incredibly stressful week. I was driving past McDonalds. Since I hadn't eaten ANY meat in a decade and therefore hadn't been to a McDonalds in all that time, it was quite surprising to me that on that particular day I just made a swift impulsive turn into the drive thru and got two hamburgers, fries, and a shake and sat there in the parking lot and scarfed them down. And enjoyed it.
    I am so sorry that your sojourn into meat land was with Micky D’s salty grey patties. You needed a real hamburger. oh well, maybe mext decade!
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-13-18 at 10:25am.

I can remember practically living on Cheetos and Cokes one summer. The crunchy kind of Cheetos.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    I'm usually pretty good about healthy food choices. But yesterday, for some reason, I had a hankering for onion rings and when the order taker at our local cafe asked if I wanted onion rings with my shrimp burger, i said "yes." Enjoyed them very much. May go another five years without getting them again, but once in a while, it's good to indulge...without guilt.
    peaceful, easy feeling

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am so sorry that your sojourn into meat land was with Micky D’s salty grey patties. You needed a real hamburger. oh well, maybe mext decade!
    Actually, I never liked hamburgers as a kid--hated them. But we had a class trip one day and on the way back the bus stopped at a McDonald's. This was in 1964--it was the first McDonald's I'd ever seen. The big sign touted hamburgers, which I hated, so I asked the guy at the counter if they had hot dogs. Of course he snickered and said "No!!" I thought it was weird that a hamburger place wouldn't also have hot dogs, but I bought a hamburger, and loved it... probably because it tasted nothing like a real hamburger. I just loved the mustard, ketchup, pickles, and little bits of onion. I couldn't even taste the beef.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am not a fan of fast-food hamburgers.

However, on a recent road trip, I discovered this insane thing:

https://www.culvers.com/menu-and-nut...riginal-single

It was really darned good, for a burger-shack burger. I think the secret is all the herbed butter.

Anyways, I had one and was happy, but for hours afterwards I was whimpering "why, oh why, did I eat that?"

Actually, I never liked hamburgers as a kid--hated them. But we had a class trip one day and on the way back the bus stopped at a McDonald's. This was in 1964--it was the first McDonald's I'd ever seen. The big sign touted hamburgers, which I hated, so I asked the guy at the counter if they had hot dogs. Of course he snickered and said "No!!" I thought it was weird that a hamburger place wouldn't also have hot dogs, but I bought a hamburger, and loved it... probably because it tasted nothing like a real hamburger. I just loved the mustard, ketchup, pickles, and little bits of onion. I couldn't even taste the beef.
    well, you are right that the special taste of their hamburgers comes from that blend of pickle, onion, ketchup, mustard. I agree, it doesnt have much to so with the bun and meat, they could serve the condiment blend on cardboard.

But their French Fries are superb.

If the world was ending in a week, during one of the last days I would eat nothing but McDonalds. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    If the world was ending in a week, during one of the last days I would eat nothing but McDonalds. haha
    I just might join you. Go Armageddon!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I just might join you. Go Armageddon!
    Haha!

It's interesting. I haven't eaten any beef in decades but reading these posts I can remember as clearly as if it were yesterday what a McDonald's cheeseburger tastes like. We used to go every day for lunch when I was in high school (because it required driving so it was mostly juniors, seniors and me who turned 16 in october of my sophomore year). I would probably still love one today but no, I don't plan to ever eat another fast food burger in my life.

Thread Information