Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keto

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Keto

Has anybody here tried it? We just watched The Magic Pill and it gave a lot of food for thought. No pun intended.

I suspect it needs to be done with a lot of care (like veganism some might say, ok but veganism doesn't make you immediately sick generally, even if there are long term risks if not watching micronutrients, so actually MORE carefully than veganism!). Like carefully as in consume a lot of supplemental fiber or something. Because I ended up after a few days in lots of stomach pain (and constipated but not just constipated also horrible stomach pain maybe caused by that) and yet I held out for awhile on the diet, went to bed constipated and in pain only to wake up the same way. Tried to increase fiber grams through food. I was to the point of wishing my body just worked in the normal way, to have a normal functional body back. Well I did when I ditched that diet ha!

But something more moderate might be great? Oh sure, but I'm not sure that's really ketosis at that moderate point but just a lowerish carb diet.

So never did worse on any diet, maybe I should have avoided dairy as well or something and it would have worked better. Maybe, I suspect dairy is not great for me but I can handle it on a normal diet even if it's not ideal. Anyway, I actually have NO DESIRE to *EVER* try an actual ketogenic diet again. If I had to get into keto for some reason, well I'm more favorably inclined to fasting than that diet, it can be difficult, but it's not painful beyond the hunger pangs at least.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    I have been doing a version of it for almost a year and lost the 20 pounds I wanted. I do not count up my carbs but do minimize them. Once I hit my weight loss goal I have added in a few, like occasionally a potato fried with my eggs and yesterday I had some plantains.

As a vegetarian I eat non-root vegetables, radishes, berries, nuts and seeds, oils, avocado, olives, seaweed, legumes, dairy, eggs, coffee, tea, and unsweetened almond milk in my coffee at home. This is different than most people who eat a lot of meat on the diet.

My cholesterol has gone up to borderline but my good cholesterol is high also so my doctor is not concerned.

I do need to try to emphasize the veggies more to keep my digestive system passing the food along smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I eat non-root vegetables, radishes, berries, nuts and seeds, oils, avocado, olives, seaweed, legumes, dairy, eggs, coffee, tea, and unsweetened almond milk in my coffee at home. This is different than most people who eat a lot of meat on the diet.
    People who are eating a lot of meat are not eating ketogenic. Keto calls for a calorie distribution of around 70/25/5 percent fats/protein/carbohydrates. I've been eating pretty close to keto for the last year or so and I can't eat much more than maybe 3-4 ounces of meat protein at a meal and stay within the percentages.

When I started eating keto, I did suffer "keto flu", which is, in part, the body getting used to many fewer grams of carbohydrates and and the loss of electrolytes (sodium, magnesium, and potassium). Drinking lots more water and bumping up your electrolyte intake (and even your fat intake) is key to minimizing keto flu. It passes after a few days and I now have energy levels and a steadiness to my blood glucose levels that I never had before and I've enjoyed steady and sustainable weight loss.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I will not be trying it. Years ago I did Adkins and had great success in weight loss. About six months in my kidneys failed and the Dr said I nearly died. I dont remember it so dramatically, but it was a big enough scare to keep me away from similar diets.

I am low carbing. No sugar, potatoes, pasta. Limited crackers and bread.

I've seen positive changes in how I feel and lost weight.

No more afternoon slumps or acid reflux.

I love sweets so this is challenging for me.

Ketogenic diets have been found to reverse diabetic kidney failure in rodents:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3080383/

That study was quickly buried; I guess Pharma and the dialysis industry didn't like it.

I think ketogenic plans and IF (intermittent fasting) can both be therapeutic. A combination of low carb and IF will be my next experiment.

I am not measuring or counting. We just cut out wheat, rice, corn, potatoes, all processed food and sugar. We have been eating clean with a lot of vegetables so there has been no constipation issues.
    This started after we got back from our vacation to the south and felt horrible after eating all the fried and carby food. Watched the movie and decided to try it. I would say we aren't hard core and are easing into something towards keto but not strict. Felt horrible and tired the first two weeks but in the past few days we are popping out of it, feeling better, both down about 10lbs (water I'm sure) and DH's blood pressure has gone down about 10 points. The past two days the energy has returned and things are looking up. We have a big breakfast of scrambled eggs with cheese, veggies and bacon. We have been able to cut out lunch because we are still full and get hungry around 5p when we have dinner which is a protein with lots of veggies and fat. Lots of water and replacing electrolytes. So far so good.

I also ended up pretty sick from Atkins diet years ago. All our bodies respond differently to food

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I also ended up pretty sick from Atkins diet years ago. All our bodies respond differently to food
    I expect that widespread DNA testing will render all the n=1 experimentation unnecessary and point the way to individualized eating plans.

Thread Information