Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Happiness/Unhappiness scale

Kay, one of my 3 sons is 41 with a serious drug problem. He gets clean, gets a job , we all get hopeful and then down the shit tube again. None of us let him live with us anymore or give him money. We give support when he is clean and working. I can get pretty down if I focus too much on that. I hope you have another child that brings you some joy. My BF’s Mom has helped with this because she raised 5 kids in a loving home and 2 are all messed up and still on drugs in their 60’s.

9, some days a 10. It's been getting better every year since I was 16 (definitely a 1) with some roller-coasting in my 20s.

I'm only comparing this with my own past, of course. Maybe in five years I'll be at 12, or 15 - or negative 2.

Thanks, Terry---it does give me comfort sometimes knowing I'm not the only one with this challenge, that I'm not singly "a bad mom." Yes, I do have another DD and we do well together. Her kids are my joy. Still....
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

8 most every day. The world could be better, but we've got it better than sooo many others, I try to appreciate what I do have instead of being angry at what I don't.

An 8 most of the time. But I have had fibromyalgia and severe arthritis for years. It gets harder each year to garden and be active. So when I hurt I drop to a 5. Time for a knee replacement. I wish the side effects for lyrica weren't so scary. Then my fibromyalgia would improve. I think I can live with the arthritis. Sorry, this is so whiney!

I’m usually 5-9. But with everything going on in our country I’ve been lower this year.

I started an automated monthly donation to the ACLU today.

I keep wondering what those Germans in 1935 could have done differently to stop hitler. And I realize the answer is not much. I am in a similar position now and feel powerless. Donating was the one thing I could think of to do.

I abhor the direction our country is going.

Five, indifferent to things in general, as the song goes life's a piece of s***, when you look at it.

There will be happiness and sadness in moments across your life, hope from where you choose to take it, despair the same. I have dreamt about my death for more of my life then not, and think about not why are we here, or where did we come from, but what if anything will my existence mean. There is no reason to be particularly happy or sad about it:
    Galaxy song link not allowed.

Tammy I do too.

I don't think lawyers can save anything on a large scale. Lawyers prevent Hitler (not my metaphor as I'm referencing above, but I'll go with it for here). Never will happen!

But if you are concerned about more narrow issues like racial discrimination in the criminal justice system or prison conditions (others are more on the front lines of this sometimes but ok) then maybe.
    Trees don't grow on money

Hmmm......interesting thread! I fear I have "dysthymia". I think I've been at about a 3, since I was born (thanks to Dad and Mom). But I don't want my present depression/pain to make me forget the good times I've had intermittently.

Right now, I'm about a 2-3. Overall in my life, it's probably been about 6. I have no clue how to be a positive person. I'm not being funny. I have no clue. I think it's easier to be closer to the "happy" end of the scale when you're younger and your body hasn't started to deteriorate, and you feel it's your turn to walk the plank. I suppose it's a day-to-day, moment-to-moment ongoing constantly changing rating of happiness. I am "happiest" when I have less pain and I can do the things I want to do, and my children are happy and healthy. When I go to bed at night and don't feel much pain and love that feeling of peace, it's a 9-10.

I would settle for a fairly constant of around a 7-8, with moments of 9-10. Not sure how to get there. There are just so many types of happiness. My garden is doing good and I was able to weed it and water it. That's a 10. I had to clean my house for Father's Day while feeling like poop.....that was a 2-3. My house is falling apart and DH doesn't notice it. That's a 1-2. We went to our favorite restaurant yesterday and had good conversation and a good meal. That was a 9. It fluctuates constantly.........but unfortunately always seems to bring me back down to about a 2-3 now. But I'm working on getting those numbers up.
    UL.......cool thread that you started. Thanks!

Thread Information