Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Happiness/Unhappiness scale

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I have no clue how to be a positive person. I'm not being funny. I have no clue. I think it's easier to be closer to the "happy" end of the scale when you're younger and your body hasn't started to deteriorate, and you feel it's your turn to walk the plank. I suppose it's a day-to-day, moment-to-moment ongoing constantly changing rating of happiness. !
    One of Mom's wise comments while I was caring for her during the 7week dying process: Be grateful for what you can do instead of mad about what you can't do. We all lose abilities as we age.

I've had my knee replacement and I'm post-op day 10. I can walk without a limp! Will I downhill ski again? Hike mountain trails again? I hope so but don't know yet. But I can walk without a limp!!!! That is a celebration. I choose gratitude for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    One of Mom's wise comments while I was caring for her during the 7week dying process: Be grateful for what you can do instead of mad about what you can't do. We all lose abilities as we age.

I've had my knee replacement and I'm post-op day 10. I can walk without a limp! Will I downhill ski again? Hike mountain trails again? I hope so but don't know yet. But I can walk without a limp!!!! That is a celebration. I choose gratitude for that.
    Wonderful news. I'm happy for you!

Hmmm......interesting thread! I fear I have "dysthymia".
    yea I think I do (which differs from full blown depression), but then when you add to it life ACTUALLY being hard, (well mine is because of not knowing what to do with my life to pay bills), but with all you health problems of course, which would seem very difficult to deal with, and then it might be stronger than that.

Happiness kind of doesn't really EVEN speak to me as a goal. There are moments I am joyful and joyful really is a better term to describe the fleeting feelings, it's obviously impermanent as a mood state. With my boyfriend? Sometimes. In nature? Often.

What speaks to me more? In good times: contentment. And contentment may even be somewhat dysthymic for me (!), just only very mildly so. So it's contentment.

In bad times: maybe something like Viktor Frankl's meaning in suffering. Ha and that's when I find any meaning AT ALL. There is also, and it's part of human experience too, pain beyond our inner ability to make much meaning in it. (I say that because I've seen Frankl used as a bludgeon to guilt people, and while meaning is probably healthier for us when we can find it, it's too much to always expect it). Maybe a professional can help there, notice at that point I don't even talk about contentment anymore.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information