Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: California breakup?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'm more in favor of some of the Cascadia proposals, where some portion of the Pacific NW (including pieces of BC) cut loose from our slip and sail off into history together.

Then y'all can have as many senators as you like :-)
    Ha! I was going to post about my longing for Cascadia, its Douglas fir flag, and the prospect of joining up with BC. Buying Canadian citizenship is over 800K now and rising, so I won't be taking that route.

You can buy Canadian citizenship?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yeah, 50 is a nice round number. Well, maybe the overcrowded star field will compel a state or two to secede--Vermont might be willing. Or consolidate. Up here in the NE we have a whole bunch of tiny states so maybe we could form ConneRhode, or Dela-Maryland.
    As a kid growing up in Colorado I always wondered what the crazy people in the eastern half of the country were thinking when they made those states. I thought they should all have nice logical straight borders like mine did.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    You can buy Canadian citizenship?
    I didn't know this either but apparently you can through a program called the Quebec Immigrant Investor Program.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3886743/q...ram-vancouver/

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I didn't know this either but apparently you can through a program called the Quebec Immigrant Investor Program.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3886743/q...ram-vancouver/
    Looks like Quebec is pulling quite a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    As a kid growing up in Colorado I always wondered what the crazy people in the eastern half of the country were thinking when they made those states. I thought they should all have nice logical straight borders like mine did.
    At least some of the borders follow rivers. The Connecticut River separates Vermont and New Hampshire, and the Piscataqua River forms part of the border between New Hampshire and Maine.

I always wondered why the western states looked so much alike! So challenging when trying to fill out a map of the US in grade school.

And there are odd little notches in some places that don't show up very much on maps of the entire country, because they are too small.

See the northern border of Connecticut. And the Northwest Angle, part of Minnesota that looks as if it should be in Canada.

This whole thing with California is just stupid in my opinion.

This whole thing with California is just stupid in my opinion.
    I agree, I'm annoyed we even have to vote not just on somewhat stupid stuff, but on completely idiotic stuff like this.
    Trees don't grow on money

And the California supreme court has kicked this off the ballot. I'm not surprised. One of the things that most articles I have read on this topic pointed out is that the CA constitution specifically spells out our state's borders and that any changes to them (which this initiative certainly seemed to do) would require an amendment to the constitution, not a simple ballot initiative. I guess my worries about how to add two stars to the US flag were premature...

Thread Information