Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Walked out - taking medical leave

Walked out - taking medical leave

This is in open because it is work, healthcare, relationships, maybe some spirituality thrown in.

This is the first week of summer camp. I have been struggling with insomnia since December, started with some anxiety treatment a couple months ago, and now this camp. I got this site with 1 1/2 weeks notice, staff in the hiring process, totally unknown children and numbers, a site with no printer, copier or supplies, and a few other issues (you may have read about the poor dad who spoke only Burmese and went to the wrong bus stop).

So the camp is not going well (I hear that several of the similar sites are also a wreck),

Today I checked my email and it had a list of follow ups from my summer sup to do, I was already up past 10 last night, I was up again early today, my old sup was on his way over, and I had a field trip to get ready for that I felt totally not prepared for, and
    not enough hours to possibly make it work. I was so worried about missing things or making excuses to old sup or anything. I just starting tearing up and called current sup. I walked outside to talk and at first he tried to help me break down the tasks, and then it was obvious that I could not mentally manage that. So he had me just take a break, by the time I got back for the meeting with my old sup he had called him and their supervisor. The calvary came in and took over, I appreciate the higher supervisor and how she responded. I was not able to process everything, and what I could process was slow. I helped them get the basics together and pass things over, it took a few hours. She seemed to understand that I was really doing my best. Honestly I had done my job but I could not keep it up, and to not be 100% on a field trip tomorrow as the only one delegated for medication for a brittle diabetic was not a good situation.

I actually feel I am more clear than I have been in awhile. I need to do paperwork to be on a type of leave, I will get to that. Meanwhile I can maybe sleep tonight. I just know that 4 hours ago I was obviously not okay. Like if you had a short conversation with me you would notice I was not tracking information or processing very well. I have an appointment with psychiatrist but not for over a week. He is good about emailing too. And I can walk, start to cut the caffeine down, maybe even sleep.

Yikes ZG! I'm glad you have given yourself a time out. Please be gentle with yourself.

While I was still in the building I was worried more about taking care of things or what people would think of me. I just want to sleep tonight, please.

ZG, no one could keep going with this type of work load or pressure. Sending you a big hug)

Thank you, it took a team of supervisors to do what I was trying to do this week, I feel more than a little set up. The closest similar site had months of planning and 2 PS's and a team of supervisors to start off this week.

The whole situation was impossible. It is really bad when they send in a entire team to do what they were expecting one person to do. Like Alice in Wonderland ((:

Yppej
    Your health comes first, and the welfare of the children as well if the program is not well run and you well supported. Perhaps the psychiatrist can refer you to a vocational rehabilitation counselor who can help you find more suitable employment.

Zoe, I think you should have just done one work thread and kept updating it. We could see the entire sh*t show in one place!

Hugs, so sorry you had to go through this. Hope you can get some sleep. Hopefully this doesn't affect your finances too much, but you definitely need to put your health first. I hope you can get some sort of paid leave, but is that asking too much?

I have almost unlimited sick time and 35 days of vacation. I hope it will be okay, my thoughts are a couple weeks to possibly get new meds or just bring down stress from the first week.

Honestly I can do my job, I did a LOT of it before I left today, and in general I do a good job even though the department may not think so.

Glad you have paid leave. Excellent!

Thread Information