Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got them sleep study motel blues...

Got them sleep study motel blues...

This evening I am going into the sleep study motel to get a full-on, in-lab sleep study done. I am still a big fat, fat, fatty; I still have bouts of snoring; and I still catch myself waking up from not breathing.

So I am going to get the test done, and if they find I am apneaic then I will use the machine and try to figure a way to really lose some serious elbeez.

I don't like sleeping away from home (unless I am jet-setting all over the world with my private jet and staying in 6 star hotels, right Yppej? LOL). And I don't like being away from Harlan who sleeps near the door or beside the foot of my bed.

And it gives me the blues a bit.

Also not a fun way to spend a Friday night. haha

But hey -- FWP, right?

Wish me luck.

Good luck, UL! My DH did this a few years ago. I thought he had sleep apnea because of heavy snoring and it sounding like he would stop breathing and then kind of snort himself awake. It turned out he didn't have significant apnea, but our MD told him that if he kept off the butts and lost a few pounds, that should take care of the problem and involve less unpleasantness than CPAP. Lo and behold, he was right!

Good luck.

I had one of those several years ago, suspecting apnea that was not present under the "controlled conditions". I can hope that the miniaturization fostered by the consumer electronics revolution has allowed medicine to wave goodbye to the clunky box of wires they attached to my chest (followed by the command to sleep on my stomach, which I never do). Sleep well as you can.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I have always wondered how these tests are accurate since most of us have troible getting to sleep in an unfamiliar environment.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I have always wondered how these tests are accurate since most of us have troible getting to sleep in an unfamiliar environment.
    I have always thought the same thing IL.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    SO swore that he didn't sleep at all during his, but apparently he did. They determined the obvious, that he did in fact have significant apnea.

FOr almost 15 years he's used a CPAP now and almost from the first night it's made a huge improvement in his quality of life, so don't freak out if they prescribe one for you. My one suggestion, if you don't like the first mask they give you try others. It took some experimentation but years ago SO discovered the nose pillows mask (I think that's what they're called. I call it the "up your nose with a rubber hose" mask.) It fits well and stays in place easily so he sleeps well with it.

UL.......your most recent pics don't look overweight.

I've had 2 of them. I don't see how anyone can sleep. My first one, I only slept 1 hr 45 min, but they said it was fine. I knew it wasn't.

Several years later I repeated one somewhere else and they let me take a xanax....which I always wonder if that changes all the info.

I've been using a cpap for about 12 years. It helped a lot, although I think it's not doing as well these days. It can be a hard adjustment, but you have to
    make friends with it. Use it sitting up in a chair reading or watching TV first. It might take a few weeks to keep it on all night, but it will happen.

But hey.....we don't even know if you need one yet. But there are several of us here to use cpap, so if you do need one, don't hesitate to ask questions.
    I also have "alpha wave intrusion", which is hard to fix. That means every time I start to get into deep sleep, my brain yells "WAKE UP!!"........and I usually do.

Try to relax. They are making some tests that you can do at home too. Let us know how it goes.

I've had two. The first was in a totally clinical environment on a narrow hospital bed in a large cold room with two geeks in the control room (their descriptions of themselves, not mine) talking to me now and again as I couldn't sleep. The second, through another doctor was in a lovely room, uber comfortable bed, nice fluffy towels and toiletries AND a nice breakfast served the next morning. I was so hoping the test was inconclusive so they would have to do it again. Alas..... it was successful and I now have had a CPAP for a few years now. I don't think my apnea is nearly as bad now that I don't take sleep meds. It was kind of a vicious circle with those. But if you do need a CPAP you will definitely start to feel much better from the get go.

Williamsmith
    My wife took the test after I caught her not breathing in the middle of the night several times. She uses a CPAP but grudgingly and she blames me for it. Well, better than being dead right?

Me, no way in hell I am sleeping in a strange room attached to wires and sticky patches with unknowns watching me. I pull over when someone is following in a car. I sit with my back to the wall in a restaurant. I’m constantly surveying the landscape for people with evil intent.

Ill allow myself to be tested but you have to knock me out. Hope you are sleeping......I’m not!

Sleep studied. I slept better in the lab than at home.

Thread Information