View Poll Results: What color for trim and window boxes?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brick red

2 33.33%
  • Seafoam green

4 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What color for my trim and window boxes?

What color for my trim and window boxes?

I have to decide on what to paint the trim on my weird house--most of the outside is a dark brown log cabin shiplap, but the previous owners added a mudroom that they sided in cedar shingles. Roof is brick red.

See the picture. I am adding window boxes, which also need to be painted (DH built them out of pine yesterday)

4669045_0_QzNimJ_p.jpeg

I'm thinking of just doing the brick red, which would entail less work, but I'm also attracted to a sea foam green.

Please weigh in.. and while you're at it, if you can think of a way to make the log/cedar sides more cohesive, please let me know!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I have to decide on what to paint the trim on my weird house--most of the outside is a dark brown log cabin shiplap, but the previous owners added a mudroom that they sided in cedar shingles. Roof is brick red.

See the picture. I am adding window boxes, which also need to be painted (DH built them out of pine yesterday)

4669045_0_QzNimJ_p.jpeg

I'm thinking of just doing the brick red, which would entail less work, but I'm also attracted to a sea foam green.

Please weigh in.. and while you're at it, if you can think of a way to make the log/cedar sides more cohesive, please let me know!

I would use a grey-green color on the bricks and a color for the trim and window boxes that does not compete with whatever you are going to plant in them?

Williamsmith
    I like the challenge of incorporating sea foam green mostly because it is complementary to your red roof. And on the emotional side....is the color of the two suggested that fits with the reason why you were drawn to the house in the first place. How to make it jive with the shiplap and mud room cedar shingles? Sorry, not a clue.

The dark brown of your house is about the same color as mine. I think going sea-foam to sage green would be nice, especially the cedar shake accents and window boxes. OK I took 2 seconds to steal your photo and open it with paint and brush a few colors on it. Changing the paint on the small building and add on to a sea-foamish/teal color and adding some red highlights (plants/yard art/window boxes something like that). Just something to see the colors together. 4669045_0_QzNimJ_p.jpg
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    The dark brown of your house is about the same color as mine. I think going sea-foam to sage green would be nice, especially the cedar shake accents and window boxes. OK I took 2 seconds to steal your photo and open it with paint and brush a few colors on it. Changing the paint on the small building and add on to a sea-foamish/teal color and adding some red highlights (plants/yard art/window boxes something like that). Just something to see the colors together. 4669045_0_QzNimJ_p.jpg
    Thanks for taking the time! And thanks to all for weighing in.

Here is the color I chose (DH was really pressuring me to pick a color which helped me break through my indecision):

http://m.valsparpaint.com/color-detail.php?id=101385
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I love High Tide, great choice! I would paint the house an oyster and make the trim high tide, sort of like this only High Tide is darker than what is here:

Wow, Tybee, that is a beautiful combination!!!

Ooh, I like the color you chose!

Just an update. We still need to paint some of the trim (leaving the window trim white), and the log shiplap has to be addressed--but that will wait until next year. I'll consider Tybee's oyster suggestion and FloatOn's suggestion to paint the mudroom and outbuilding the same color as the window boxes, although I'd like to keep the cedar shingles natural if possible--in my best case scenario we eventually replace the log with cedar, as I have always loved the New England cottage look.

But here are the finished window boxes. DH did a nice job, although one of them is a little wonky. But he worked so hard on them, and he tires easily these days, so I can certainly keep my mouth shut and be super-grateful that I actually have these window boxes! I went with creeping jenny, coleus, and purple and white petunias.

IMG_0471.jpg

Oh, and while he was at it, he painted an old Adirondack chair that was left behind and falling apart. He replaced a broken slat, secured the wiggles with screws, and painted it the same High Tide.

IMG_0472.jpg

The window boxes are stunning, and how great the color worked out!!!!

Thread Information