Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Fat Acceptance/Fat Pride Movement

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I'm not sure, though, why my husband reacted so strongly to the girl calling our dog fat, as she is kind of fat, but he tends to see the dogs as his children.
    I hear ya. My dog was fat, too. And at the dog park, all the people would look at other dogs and say "Oh, what a cute dog! What kind is it?" And no one ever asked me that about Nessie. But I adored her just the way she was. Like your DH, I'd probably write off someone who didn't like the way she looked, too.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Well here is an update on my fat dog: he lost weight again.This time, 2 lbs in 3 months, and we havent been trying to get his weight down.

Now I am worried that something is going on with him.He still eats like a pig, so nothing is obvious yet.

We have a Miniature Pinscher that looks like a football. My daughter says she's fat, and I have to agree. I don't think it shames the dog though.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I've always been thin my entire life and have been thin-shamed more times than I can remember. At work I always bring healthy food for lunch and hear comments from coworkers that I don't need to eat that way; they're eating pizza and chips and soda and are all overweight. Women tell me that men don't like skinny girls. Years ago a total stranger, from out of nowhere, told me I was too thin. This p*ssed me off so much that I told her that I had been very sick for a long time. That shut her up and hopefully she won't make such a rude comment to another person.

Weight shaming can go both ways. Obesity is an epidemic and in a lot of cases this can be reversed with exercise and a healthy diet. But why bother when crappy food is cheap and easy to obtain. Oversized carts and wheelchairs are available everywhere you want to shop. Personally I don't find obese/extremely overweight people physically attractive, but I probably like them as a person.

But DON'T say my dog is too thin! Most of the dogs I see are overweight and their owners will always comment how thin my petite dog is. Well, your dog's waistline should be visible and you should be able to feel some ribs. Thinner dogs live longer with fewer health issues.

I found this piece to be really on-point about what it must be like to endure fat-shaming

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information