Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who should pay for broken statue?

Yppej
    The parents should pay the deductible.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Remaining calm, I will ask how the parents of the evil spawn family was harmed.
    My understanding of tort law, based on studying for the bar exam in several states, indicates that perhaps their odds are low.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    My understanding of tort law, based on studying for the bar exam in several states, indicates that perhaps their odds are low.
    I know at least one resourceful attorney who could not only gin up sympathy for the family (facing a restitution payment that could easily pay for an average college education) but disdain for an entity that would try to extort money for an incident that could have easily been avoided given some common sense. The first hurdle for the insurance company is showing what constituted the value of the sculpture other than than word of its creator as to the value he placed on it. It was just a hunk of composite glass. I once received a bill for the transportation of my son via air ambulance that was for $27,000. Until I got that straightened out.....it certainly caused me great stress.

I call it an accident. I don't like assigning blame, especially to a child.
    Insurance pays.

Here is the sort of thing that could have easily happened in this situation:

http://abc7news.com/news/toddler-kil...wharf-/104481/

Why did a public space, rented for events, have this statue up on a pedestal where it could fall on a child, or an adult for this matter?

Thread Information