Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Our artistic endeavors

Beautiful, IL!! Congratulations! Have a wonderful time in Boston!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Congratulations! It flows from open to closed bud and out. Lovely movement. What is the blue thing that props the display?

The container is palm pod painted blue, spray paint. The other bluething is spiraled midellino, also painted blue. spray
    paint is my friend. I won a blue ribbon with the same container and spiral thing when they Were orange.

I love the color combinations, great job

I am reviving this thread to post my first serious floral design for the season. Flower show activities are starting up again.

This is an example of what garden club ladies do, the ones who do floral design. We find stuff to adapt into a floral design for the classes that are contemporary floral design. This one is a “Transparancy” design where elements are viewed through other elements.

This one started out as a metal wall hanging from Hobby Lobby. DH welded feet on it. I hung old bed sprigs on it. I made spiral midellino thingies and hung them on it. Painted the whole thing red, added palm leaves and hydrangeas.

One of my coherts said “Lady, you have too much time on your hands.” Haha, yep.

So here is the frugal thing: I assembled all of this from my basement and yard. I didn’t have to spend a dime. This is an illustration of my basement being at Critical Mass of floral design stuff. I did have to paint the spiral thingies red, but I had red paint in my basement stash.

27BFC61D-E233-471D-B27B-DAC25F26E1E3.jpg

Interesting to see. I confess to being puzzled by its ultimate purpose which I didn't realize until now was important to me. Funny how we limit ourselves.
    It is touching on the complementary colour wheel, diverse angles and shapes interest. When you are judging another's work, what are you looking for, - surprise, fresh view of an old object embellished with living plant material, feeling or mood projected or does the competition category define these displays.
    I read an article recently that advised that one should generally follow the rules of the art medium but deliberately break one of the rule of art for freshness.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Interesting to see. I confess to being puzzled by its ultimate purpose which I didn't realize until now was important to me. Funny how we limit ourselves.
    It is touching on the complementary colour wheel, diverse angles and shapes interest. When you are judging another's work, what are you looking for, - surprise, fresh view of an old object embellished with living plant material, feeling or mood projected or does the competition category define these displays.
    I read an article recently that advised that one should generally follow the rules of the art medium but deliberately break one of the rule of art for freshness.
    The flower show sets a “theme” for the transparency class, but that is only assigned 8 points on a scale of 100.

Basic artistic concepts of Balance, Dominance, Contrast, rhythm, proportion and scale are evaluated in each design. Also, execution of the design( are flowers fresh? Are materials clean? Is the staging panel correct in height?) is judged.

The ultimate purpose is to be a piece of temporary art. I love the short term nature of these floral designs. They come and they go. I’m not stuck with having to keep a thing forever and ever. They are created for a brief moment and then they disappear. I love that!

I love your color combination--complementary colors are a favorite of mine.
    Nice balance, also.

Thanks for the explanation, IL. That helped me better understand. Looking forward to your sharing more of these creations.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

That is AMAZING, Iris!! I love it! What are the dimensions of this? It looks immense. I admire your vision and execution. And your use of castoff materials.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    That is AMAZING, Iris!! I love it! What are the dimensions of this? It looks immense. I admire your vision and execution. And your use of castoff materials.
    It is 36” high, about 12” wide.

Most flower shows limit height of designs to 30” or 36” or 42”.
    It is important to fill the space you are assigned in the class which is one of the challenges.

Thread Information