Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So this middle aged student.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

So this middle aged student.....

earned in A this Spring at Phoenix College in Spanish 101. That amazed me, as busy as I have been that I have been able to keep up with it. I signed up for 102 this Fall and I just received my tuition reimbursement from my employer - now THAT is really a nice benefit, I must admit that.

And I get a lot of opportunity to practice, both at home and out and about. Rob

Nice!

My current language project is a bit slow going for me:

Bien hecho, Rob!!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Congrats, Rob!

You can never have enough languages!

Muy bien, Rob! I actually had spanish all through school and college, but with nowhere and no one to practice with, I've lost a lot. Started Duolingo a little over a year ago and it seems to be re-igniting some old brain cells. LOL.

Had to look up your current language of study, bae. Interesting. How is it going?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Growing up in San Antonio, I was immersed in Spanish language although of a regional Tex-Mex kind. Then a stint at art school in Mexico where having a Mexican boyfriend required that I learn even more. Even though I never use it anymore, it is in my head almost as a second language. It is one of the easiest to learn as vowel sounds aren't varied as in English.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Had to look up your current language of study, bae. Interesting. How is it going?
    It's slow going, but I'm getting close to goal #1, which was simply to be able to pronounce the written form of some of the Coastal Salish languages. I suspect this language is not as broadly useful as Rob's Spanish project!

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    It's slow going, but I'm getting close to goal #1, which was simply to be able to pronounce the written form of some of the Coastal Salish languages. I suspect this language is not as broadly useful as Rob's Spanish project!
    I see that it is regionally close to you, but still have to ask... Why Klallam?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I see that it is regionally close to you, but still have to ask... Why Klallam?
    I had been meaning to learn one of the Salish languages, and had been starting with a bit of Lummi, as my island is next to theirs. But a few weeks ago I went to the Olympic Peninsula, to Neah Bay, and visited the Makah Cultural/Research Center, where I talked with some folks about their language conservation efforts. They were holding a nice class right as I arrived, and had some wonderfully designed educational materials, and online support, so they hooked me up.

The language is not mutually-intelligible with Lummi or the other Northern Straits dialects, but there is a lot of overlap in vocabulary, and once you learn one of them, picking up the others is "fairly simple". The Makah language, Klallam, is a bit closer to being lost forever, so I decided to start with it, given the recent resources and efforts to save it.

Thread Information