Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Our artistic endeavors

I am impressed with all the talent in our group - floral arranging, painting, poetry, photography, fabric craft, crocheting, quilting - wow!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I am impressed with all the talent in our group - floral arranging, painting, poetry, photography, fabric craft, crocheting, quilting - wow!
    I know, it is so uplifting to see all this that we are doing and how different it all it.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

For anyone who has the patience to turn my images right side up to view them, here are two floral designs I entered in the North American Lily Society’s recent show.

This one’s had as its theme “Amber waves of Grain.”

2F5DF076-357D-4964-A914-7B4451946A94.jpg

This next one had as its theme “Things to enjoy at the Iowa State Fair” so I fused two bbq grills
    together and used a big white lily as “porksteak, the other white meat.” Maybe you have to be from Iowa to get this.

E509427C-623F-4D12-9C25-B7EE1FAF90CA.jpg

The judges liked this design a lot, but were turned off by the original “patina” of the grill. Hahahaha! Yeah, it was dirty. What can I say? Ok, it was authentic!

Your designs are unique and wonderfully simple but effective. Thanks for sharing them. I really enjoy seeing them.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

"Patina," eh? I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

This next one had as its theme “Things to enjoy at the Iowa State Fair” so I fused two bbq grills
    together and used a big white lily as “porksteak, the other white meat.” Maybe you have to be from Iowa to get this.

E509427C-623F-4D12-9C25-B7EE1FAF90CA.jpg

The judges liked this design a lot, but were turned off by the original “patina” of the grill. Hahahaha! Yeah, it was dirty. What can I say? Ok, it was authentic!
    I love patina. I love the word and what it conveys. I should get my floors refinished but I'm so afraid the 40 years of patina will be erased. So, I like your design a lot, and the fact that your grill had patina. If it were sparkly clean, it wouldn't have the same effect.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Another flower show. I took 7 entries in Design. This was my favorite of the ones
    I took:8DFEC1C8-26EA-4527-A6F5-FB0D1888554A.jpg

it received a 1st place award but nothing bigger.

This one was strong on color but weak on some design elements, and it got last place in its class. .

3F6AE3EE-5694-4B9C-BBFA-4E12BC3B1C7E.jpg

This one isnt artistic, but it deserves a big brag: I won the best of the show award in horticulture over 384 other entries for one of the lilies I grew. But really, the weather here has been so crappy so exhibit specimens were not good this year.

05BFA027-C1A0-4044-BDA9-C069CAB7B699.jpg

Those are beautiful, IL and your lilies are magnificent. Tell me, are you plagued by those little red lily-eating beetles in your neck of the woods? They have been a scourge up here for many years, but I don't believe I've seen any this year.

Beautiful! Love seeing them
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Amazing, IL! Gee, I thought the one that did worst looked beautiful. Definitely strong on color.

Here's another poem of mine. A little abstract and out there, but it just kind of spilled out of me one day.

Passing Shot

I was I am I will not be
    Evidence of eternity
    A thought, a prayer, a whisper now
    Begets me
    Momentarily
    But what comes next
    But all that is
    But it’s not but
    It is what is

It is what is
    It is what is
    The thought breaks through
    The empty space
    The wall
    The fire
    The touch of grace
    The dog is sitting on the bench
    The grill is heating up the place

So tell me of tomorrow’s plans
    Of what might be
    Of what might not
    Of crystal moments to be caught
    While Time gives us
    A passing shot.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information