Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Our artistic endeavors

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Congratulations!! That is beautiful! Is it a bunch of candlesticks you stacked on top of each other? I love the composition of the daffodils, too!
    It is one big candlestick. It sits in front of my fireplace.

That is really lovely IL!

Unique and lovely. Now you have me curious. You have used a number of greens. flowers and supports. Could you advise me and increase my understanding please? Does that show define what materials, height, width etc., must be included or cannot be exceeded. Our local hort society and fall fair do set some parameters due to space available so not sure what the difference would be in larger societies.

I did attend the Philadelphia Flower Show and saw huge arrangements and very tiny ones but I did not see the entry specs. that competitors must meet.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yes, the show sets space limitations. In a typical flower show the organizers try to vary staging of each class, otherwise it is rather boring. As example it would be visually dull to have all designs lined up on tables along a wall. So those planning a show use the club’s equipment such as small tables, high pedestals, etc.

Each show has a “show schedule” that sets out rules and limitations. The space available for each design is always listed in the schedule. Often there are limits in height stated in the schedule. If there are backgrounds provided by the club, the dimensions of those backgrounds are listed.

In NGC shows, a design class has 4 entries, no less, usually no more. So advance registration is required so that organizers can make sure each class is filled. There have been plent of times where I run around making a last minute design to fill a class.

As for materials, in a plant society show like a Daffodil show, daffodils must be the dominant flower in designs. In generic National Garden Club shows sometimes “dried flowers” classes exist, but fresh flowers always dominate in a show. NGC shows do not restrict the type of floral material that may be used, but length of show sometimes dictates that. For a 3-4 day show tropical plant materials are good because they last so long.

Artificial plant material of any kind is forbidden.

Thank you for that information, IL.

One sort of related note is that so many people have commented to me that there are no volunteers anymore. As I have looked around, I am seeing so many people volunteering but not in the longer established groups. Youth groups are so organized now requiring so many volunteers who put in amazing hours, also professional associations have expanded in number requiring volunteers and so on.

I am sure that the NGC shows over the years have needed many volunteers such as yourself, filling in a class as well as arranging space, schedules, judges and all the organization that each show involves. It is a major involvement at times. Are the volunteers still there for such flower shows as I do enjoy seeing them and appreciating all the efforts expended.
    I used to be a member of Hamilton's Royal Botanical Gardens and attending the various flower shows when possible but no longer do so as I visit the local Whistling Gardens https://www.whistlinggardens.ca which I have watched develop from a dream to a really beautiful place to visit regularly.

I am in Boston attending North American Lily Society convention and lily show. I won Best in Design.

ED652008-4088-4575-AA2C-2B7DD03A6770.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am in Boston attending North American Lily Society convention and lily show. I won Best in Design.

ED652008-4088-4575-AA2C-2B7DD03A6770.jpg
    Congrats! Very nice!

Congratulations! It flows from open to closed bud and out. Lovely movement. What is the blue thing that props the display?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    What is the blue thing that props the display?
    That was my question, too.

Nicely done, IL!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information