Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you draw the line and put your health first?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Where do you draw the line and put your health first?

I'm just curious where other people draw the line and put their own health first beyond other issues in their lives?

Without getting into issues more appropriate for the Simple Politics Forum - I've been engaging in a great deal of activism against the recent family separation policies at the US Border and also against the Mesa, Arizona PD. My body is really run down and I'm utterly exhausted. I managed to switch with someone to get today off and I'm going to take a very easy day today and see how I feel tomorrow.

On the one hand I feel guilty unplugging as there is so much injustice going on out there now under the this Administration - on the other hand, I really am run down and having health issues as a result thereof is not going to help me engage in my life purpose of activism against issues such as those already mentioned.

So my question is - when do you personally draw the line? And put yourself first, unplug, or engage in whatever self care you might engage in? Rob

If you are not well, you have little to give and will continue to get worse. Take the time off you need to be fully well whether that is 1 day or 7 days.

Time to unplug, I'd say. Let go of thinking you can save the whole world. I know you want to do so. But, remember the saying about filling the well. If the well is dry, no good happens and right now you need to fill the well with whatever healing is needed, rest, food, isolation, disengagement. Then you may be ready to take on the world at a pace that keeps you healthy.

I think you need balance. I know that you are getting back into Catholicism and one of my very favorite Catholic writers is Richard Rohr, who runs the Center for Action and Contemplation in Albuquerque. I think most of the great activists in history have come from a place of contemplation and silence. You have to recharge your batteries and connect with whatever your higher power is in order to be able to achieve what you want out in the world.

So if you are feeling burnt out, you must step back and recharge. It's about physical health and spiritual health.

https://cac.org
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My life is really busy, and if I wear myself out too much I end up with asthma flare ups. So for me, I donate to the ACLU instead of donating my time.

I understand, heck I just had a breakdown. I had to stop a lot of things that are very important coming in my email and my facebook feed because I simply can't handle them right now. I feel so strongly that I need to be part of the solution, however long time activists need to take breaks. Maybe just a short time like a week to turn off everything, I hear that a big protest is on the 30th so to jump back in then. I always suggest a meditation type retreat or day, but a massage or something else comforting. My friend's husband just wanted a pedicure for Father's day, I have ticklish feet but I think that could be good too.

Do what you can; allot yourself ten minutes and make phone calls; write letters. I can't gather or march at this point, but I have money to donate, and I can email and call. Put yourself first with the idea that if you don't, you'll be unable to contribute at all. I salute you for doing as much as you have.

You draw the line when your body/mind tells you you need to. Listen to that message. Rest.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

My personal limit is when I stop feeling the simple joy of being alive.
    If I go outside and don't feel grateful for the fresh air, the sun on my face, the sounds of the birds, then I know I have to step back.

Thanks for Richard Rohr...You suggested it several years ago and I followed up. It's made a huge difference in my life.

Thread Information