Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where do you draw the line and put your health first?

Quote Originally Posted by Florence View Post
    No. It’s a smokescreen.
    Do tell! What comes next?

Next they invoke the “as facilities are available” part to continue separations, because There are simply not enough facilities available. The executive order is contingent on funding and implementation, which I think we will see slow walked at best. More likely I think we will see any funding for family facilities tied to funding for the wall and then Trump will yell that Democrats don’t want to fund family centers, so we have no way to keep these children with their parents.

Also, courts are likely to rule that executive order or no executive order, you still can’t hold these kids for more than 20 days - so off they go to “care”. I’m not implying they won’t get care, i’m saying that in my eyes, the care they will get is functionally indistinguishable from the “care” they will get “incarcerated” in a family friendly facility. Even really good foster care is not better than a well run internment camp WITH your own loving parents.

my conservative dh said out loud this morning “I wonder what would happen if we just opened the border?” Putting me in the position of explaining why that was a bad idea. But there are points....

Again, we are experiencing a drop in population. It wouldn't hurt us to take in an expanded number of guest workers, refugees, and immigrants. This is a country that--if it ever was great--was made so by the sweat and zeal of people from all over the world. I hope the monies flowing in now to various legal charities can facilitate reuniting these terrorized (and drugged, apparently) children with their parents--who were just trying to save their lives--ASAP. This flagrant xenophobia, promoted by Trump, Miller, Gorka, and Bannon, is sickening to me; I hope they rot in hell. The sooner the better.

My sister in law and nephew both just posted that these are necessary because parents are criminals and that it is fake news that it is happening. My nephew said that criminals get their children taken away after all, yet I know that the justicedepartment system tries to keep kids with at least one family member, offer bail, something to avoid this.

Jane, I agree with you 100%.

The problem is an increase or drop in national population doesn't actually matter as it all depends on where the population is centered. The overwhelming trend is for urbanization and it's global. But our urban centers are actually not well served by increase in population and will just eventually become massive urban slums (one might cynically quip: "if they aren't already", but it can definitely get worse, it's not full favela mode quite yet). 1) the housing isn't there - hence homeless. Yes, some homeless have other problems, but it's pretty well established some places that the major cause of homelessness is just housing hasn't kept up with population increases period 2) the infrastructure like transportation infrastructure etc. isn't there. Urban centers are increasingly where people must go for any economic opportunity at all, but are increasingly unaffordable to live in, and this is happening in lots and lots of places in the U.S. - more population is only going to make things worse.

Ok in some (or maybe all depending on the resource!) parts of the country the natural resources aren't there either. For instance in anywhere southwest the water isn't there etc. but that one isn't all about urbanization and isn't new, it's just made worse by increasing population.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yes, Apathetic No More, but a whole lot of us will be dying off soon, Millennials don't seem eager to reproduce, and this country is vast. We can absorb lots more immigrants than we allow in without breaking a sweat. And I imagine new eyes could even solve some of our pressing problems, if we let them.

There are probably many sides to all of the news we are hearing...as with most media news these days. We usually get the sensational side of a story and the details are left out. Leaving the separating of children aside (which I don't agree with), how are all the asylum seekers/immigrants to be supported? Housing, medical, healthcare etc. Why do they flock to the US? Does Mexico not allow them there? My older brother was a border patrolman who tracked "illegals" and drug-runners for years. He had many stories to tell about their intentions and motivations for crossing the border. I grew up in South Texas. Ditto the stories so best not to air my opinions. Many if not most of those who are detained and given a court date never show up and simply disappear - as they have always done. I do feel like this is a situation that was allowed to continue for decades without addressing and will now be impossible to "fix".

It is not safe in many places in Mexico. Crops are rotting in the fields with not enough workers to pick them. We have jobs for immigrants that others aren’t willing to do. Immigrants will share apartments with others and pool their resources to make it financially like they always have done.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Thank You everyone for your replies. I am reading them over and reflecting upon them, each and every one. Today I am also off - took a sick day - and will be going back into work tomorrow. Feeling a little better today and am drinking some Mexican herbal tea that is reputed to help with burnout. No cure but I do feel a little better today and I'll take that.

As for activism today, I made two calls to the Mesa, AZ police department and I sent the office of the Prime Minister of Canada an email (realizing of course that my email will never get anywhere near Justin Trudeau) thanking the PM for leading a country that borders that US that is saner and better run and an example of what America might one day hope to aspire to. I've been meaning to send that email off for a long time and today I thought - why not, especially since this is a positive email.

Taking the bulk of the day easy, doing housework and yard work later once the sun goes down a bit (There's an excessive heat watch out today for metro Phoenix).....definitely I realize I need to temper my activism with some balance, though. Rob

Thread Information