Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Where do you draw the line and put your health first?

Rob, It's hard to cut back when you've been doing it so long and passionately. good for you for realizing you need to temper the activities and that doesn't mean you have quit or shirked.

Rob,
    You never know about that email to Trudeau - I wrote to my Senator and received a thoughtful and clearly personal reply. Yes, I was shocked!

In Nevada our representatives ignore us and actually hide out when people come to their office. These clowns can’t be gone soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Next they invoke the “as facilities are available” part to continue separations, because There are simply not enough facilities available. The executive order is contingent on funding and implementation, which I think we will see slow walked at best. More likely I think we will see any funding for family facilities tied to funding for the wall and then Trump will yell that Democrats don’t want to fund family centers, so we have no way to keep these children with their parents.

Also, courts are likely to rule that executive order or no executive order, you still can’t hold these kids for more than 20 days - so off they go to “care”. I’m not implying they won’t get care, i’m saying that in my eyes, the care they will get is functionally indistinguishable from the “care” they will get “incarcerated” in a family friendly facility. Even really good foster care is not better than a well run internment camp WITH your own loving parents. ..
    It was discussed on NPR yesterday. Turns out there are only 300 judges to handle 800,000 immigration processing requests. (that's for all immigration, not just those at the border seeking asylum.)
    If you are an unaccompanied minor separated from their parents it's even worse. After a stint in the facilities a child is sent to foster care, which is administered by that particular state. Claims are taking 2 years to 4 years to process, so you as a child are in foster care all of that time. In the meantime if the parent is deported, they cannot appear at the hearing, so odds are they won't see their child again because they have no means of intervening and retrieving them.
    The speaker was experienced with the immigration system and agreed with you Chicken Lady that it's underfunded in every aspect.

Forgot to add: another program had speakers who discussed how a great percentage of these facilities have been privatized, which of course leads to greater cost. Can we be surprised that housing for potential immigrants is a for-profit venture?
    Here's a good article that was posted on another web forum:
    https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/wh...ies-separated/

Sorry to derail this thread - Rob, good for you for taking some sick time to help keep your body and mind healthy. It's more important than ever now.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Forgot to add: another program had speakers who discussed how a great percentage of these facilities have been privatized, which of course leads to greater cost. Can we be surprised that housing for potential immigrants is a for-profit venture?
    Here's a good article that was posted on another web forum:
    https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/wh...ies-separated/

Sorry to derail this thread - Rob, good for you for taking some sick time to help keep your body and mind healthy. It's more important than ever now.
    Thank You, Lainey. And I agree.....it is very important to take time for yourself and keep your mind and body healthy. And to unplug when it's indicated/needed. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Doing better today, went into work and things are going well so far. I am going right home after work and am going to unplug for the night......I've made no commitments to activism today and there are people in the neighborhood that are going off to a protest tonight. I refuse to feel bad for not joining them.....if I run myself into the ground I'm of no use to anyone - truer words rarely spoken.

I personally find these days very trying....something about the families being separated at the border struck me viscerally at a level I'm not often struck at. This won't be going away or healing soon but I can keep myself working and keep my home life up and my faith up. As I heal I can reintegrate other issues into my life but right now I need to stand back for a breather........Rob

Good work, Rob.

Rob, I decided that when I am having nightmares about the situation I need a break too. Not watching much news on this long vacation. You can only fight injustice when you are healthy enough to do so.

And one of the child detention facilities is an adoption agency owned by the DeVoss family. https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/...s/69-565745151

Thread Information