Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mold in attic?

Mold in attic?

We are under contract on a house and got the house inspection last night. The inspector said there is mold in the attic on the sheathing and the rafters.

He was very low key about it and recommended inspection by structural engineer (to see if wood had been damaged) and air quality person, and said it could be remediated and "people panic about mold" and we should not panic.

The problem is I am highly allergic to mold and a severe asthmatic.

What would you do if you were us?

Run, away.

If you were not severely allergic, could be a different story, but this sounds like life or death.

I hope your contract had a clause pending the inspection. Allergic nor not, mold in the attic, especially on the rafters, could an expense, an experience and headache that you do not want. It's is something I would not want to deal with.

I have the same health issues as you do and I would not consider living there. Too big a risk.

Oh, no. No advice, just so sorry to hear this. One more disappointment in a long family saga for you, Tybee.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thanks, everyone. DH did not want to terminate contract, wanted to remediate. I said no, cannot risk it. Am frankly hurt and upset he is not more supportive, since he has seen me through many hospitalizations from asthma, including intensive care and ventilator.

Still, he did notify the realtor we need to terminate.

I hate this, and I am frankly really pissed.

So effing tired of looking at houses in order to accomodate needs of family members. Already being asked to risk my financial survival in all this. Really hurts.

Why are you accomodating needs of family members? Are you no longer moving to the east coast by children? Dont tell me you are taking in your parents. And someone else.

Sigh,
    I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Why are you accomodating needs of family members? Are you no longer moving to the east coast by children? Dont tell me you are taking in your parents. And someone else.

Sigh,
    I hope not.
    Thanks, everyone. IL, we have been trying to move east by children. It is a seller's market there and prices have gone way up. Here we have no mortgage, and now there we would have a mortgage again. I am not working full time anymore so would have to go back to work another part time job to pay the mortgage. So would husband, get another job. He is 63.

Son wants us to live within an hour of them and babysit a lot, but it is too expensive near there. To get affordable would have to go about two hours away, and to get no mortgage, maybe 3-4 hours away. My brother and I have been trying to get my parents to move up to a nursing home near brother and son. But then I would have to drive 2 hours to get down there, since I can't afford where they live.

Other brother who has dad's poa is now opposed to moving them there, even though it was the plan we all agree on. He does not speak to first brother. He says parents cannot go there until I am settled. Father desperately wants to move to be near first brother, who is very loving to him and will come visit and help him make medical decisions. Parents need family around to help with medical system--they are stressed and confused about medical situation. So I have father, brother, and son all asking when we are making the move, along with other brother, who is pressuring me.

We are raiding retirement savings to get a downpayment on this new place, and dismantling savings and finances to try to make this work. We are 62 and 63 and will not get much in social security and do not have pensions. My job went away and I have not had luck getting full time work in my field.

We are the poor relations--eveyrone in the picture except son have more money than we do, but we are supposed to clear out retirement savings to move there so we can all be together.

And now the house has mold.

Maybe the mold is a sign to just say NO to all the demands, stay where you are, let the others figure out how to make it work.

It does sound as though everyone is seeking for help from you but offering nothing much in return with the higher costs borne by you. i agree, stop and really think about this. Is this area where you really want to be in 10 years? Why? Who will be there then? The older adults will have passed on, won't they?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information