Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: saw DR and recommended anxiety meds

saw DR and recommended anxiety meds

It is okay, but I was hoping to walk out with a good fix immediately.

I went to the DR and explained the hourly hot flashes with anxiety, and the best medication is actually anxiety medication. The nurse practitioner talked to me a long time and that was very nice. I really wanted something that was not 'in my head' more because I have not really dealt with having a mental illness all that much over the years. Mostly I have focused on how well I do compared to others, but not how crappy I feel about having this illness.

It helped that she said that women without any mental health history go on the same medication and it is the most effective. Okay, I emailed the psychiatrist because I can't see him until July 2nd and that is a long time to be this uncomfortable.

I’d just go with the recommendation- see if it helps.

I am puzzled about what you are expecting. Sounds as though the practitioners both helped in their own way.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    It is tough to get an appointment around holidays and peak vacation times. Hang in there.

ZG, go with the recommended treatment. Anxiety is highly treatable. Your stressed out life recently (the last 12 months), has come to the surface as anxiety. I don't think of this as a major mental health crisis. It's how your body has decided to cope with your stress and make you slow down. Once you're feeling a bit more level you can work on non-medication coping mechanisms and lifestyle decisions that are healthy for you. Maybe in 6 months you can consider tapering off.....very slowly.

I dealt with a period of high anxiety back in '94. Lots of counseling and lots of me-work got me through it. Meds weren't recommended back then.

Hugs.

I'm not against meds but I am against them prescribing and not going into detail on the side effects while taking them as well as the very real issues of coming off of them if taken for more than the two weeks that the manufacturer lists. There is a place for them but you should really know the ins and outs of taking them when you are vulnerable. Wish somebody had talked to me.... Have a clear plan.

I agree with Simplemind. Some anxiety medications (for example, Xanax) is highly addictive. Be careful.

Yes, depends on the meds, and how you feel you would handle them. Dh takes Ativan very occasionally (before flights and dental appointments, that sort of thing) and it has made his life much more comfortable.

Maybe the time has come to deal with the mental illness? Sure, there are people who don't have your coping skills, but dealing with the root of it (if possible) seems more sensible than the continuing application of Band-Aids.

I'm thinking of my hip pain - I've had all sorts of treatment for the pain but what is (I believe) actuallly healing for me is a regimen of strength training, exercise, and self massage. It still might take years to heal completely, but if I didn't even try?

Healing is possible, even from these scary and deep emotional disorders. I appear to be growing out of my severe seizure disorder (about time!) Brains change and heal too!

And the great majority of people don't become addicted to anxiety meds. They are safer than hormone therapy.

Zoe Girl...what med did the doc prescribe? I'm thinking it was probably an SSRI, as opposed to something like xanax. Just be patient with it and give it a chance, in spite of some of the initial symptoms you might get.

I don't think they're right for everyone, but your anxiety levels seem to be really high and you could use some help. And sometimes one kind of med doesn't work, but another one does. Sometimes it's trial and error. Good luck!

Thread Information