Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How does your garden grow?

I wanted to share this picture. The previous owners had built this strange structure. We assumed it was some kind of trellis for flowers or vegetables, but it wasn't clear. And I am using it to trellis my cucumbers, zucchini, squash and morning glories.

But it was crying for a sign! So I looked on Etsy and had this one made. I love my little garden! It makes me happy. The other side of the sign says "Oh Happy Day"--so whether I'm sitting on the pergola, or driving down the driveway towards the house, I get a fun message.

IMG_4319.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Tomatoes are the only thing doing well in the heatwave.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Tomatoes are the only thing doing well in the heatwave.
    And actually tomatoes hibernate a little if it gets too hot. In my zone, if it gets above 85 or so, they just slow down
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

My clematis, calendulas, tomatoes, beans and garlic are doing very well. The trees and shrubs are happy as well. I am trying a different approach to my lawn. I planted some micro clovers this April and then added a good dressing of cattle manure compost as I cannot use nitrogen fertilizer since it kills the clover. It has been interesting to see that the grass is staying a modest shade of green, growing so slowly that I have not had to mow in over 2 weeks despite ample rain. When we pour on the nitrogen, we have to mow much more often.

IMG_0131.jpg
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Catherine, I just love how your yard is coming along. Those pots are beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    My clematis, calendulas, tomatoes, beans and garlic are doing very well. The trees and shrubs are happy as well. I am trying a different approach to my lawn. I planted some micro clovers this April and then added a good dressing of cattle manure compost as I cannot use nitrogen fertilizer since it kills the clover. It has been interesting to see that the grass is staying a modest shade of green, growing so slowly that I have not had to mow in over 2 weeks despite ample rain. When we pour on the nitrogen, we have to mow much more often.

IMG_0131.jpg
    Beautiful picture! Any suggestions for my clematis? I bought it May 2017 and planted it in a bad place (at my NJ house) where there was too much moisture pooling at the roots. I gave it up for dead, but when I was cleaning out the garden this spring, I saw little signs of life, so I repotted it in a container, and it took off! Then I brought it up to VT where it came to a screeching halt. No buds. It's just in a state of arrested development.

I've tried different locations. Any thoughts? Fertilizer?

When I had another look, I realized that this is a picture of your cottage garden. Are you spending a lot of time there to keep everything so green?
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I wanted to share this picture. The previous owners had built this strange structure. We assumed it was some kind of trellis for flowers or vegetables, but it wasn't clear. And I am using it to trellis my cucumbers, zucchini, squash and morning glories.

But it was crying for a sign! So I looked on Etsy and had this one made. I love my little garden! It makes me happy. The other side of the sign says "Oh Happy Day"--so whether I'm sitting on the pergola, or driving down the driveway towards the house, I get a fun message.

IMG_4319.jpg
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    When I had another look, I realized that this is a picture of your cottage garden. Are you spending a lot of time there to keep everything so green?
    Thanks, razz & herbgeek,

Re the green garden--well, we can't find the valves to turn the outdoor hose spigots on, so the only time I'm spending is carting jugs of water to the plants and hand watering them! So, no, I'm just happy everything is alive and thriving!

Thank you. I lived on a clay base for 25 years so had limits on what would grow well. This garden is a new adventure with gravel as a base.
    This clematis gets about 6 hours of direct west sun each day and a lot of reflected light as well. I remembered reading that clematis like cool roots so shaded with a large hosta and lots of mulch. It is classified a # 3 so long blooming season and needs to be cut back to the 10inch base each spring. This is my second year for it so I am delighted with all the bloom. I did give it a boost of fertilizer in the water. Last year being its first year it had about 8 flowers and few buds late in the season. With the gravel base for a yard I have good drainage. It is definitely the prettiest clematis that I have ever grown.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Beautiful picture! Any suggestions for my clematis? I bought it May 2017 and planted it in a bad place (at my NJ house) where there was too much moisture pooling at the roots. I gave it up for dead, but when I was cleaning out the garden this spring, I saw little signs of life, so I repotted it in a container, and it took off! Then I brought it up to VT where it came to a screeching halt. No buds. It's just in a state of arrested development.

I've tried different locations. Any thoughts? Fertilizer?
    clematis like East sides, shaded root. Dont fertilize it if newly planted. Just let it rest. As long as it is putting ip shoots it is doing ok.

I transplanted several sections of a healthy clematis this year. some sections made it, others not.

your sign is nice!

Thread Information