Thread: Who owns sheep? ChickenLady?

Who owns sheep? ChickenLady?

I have a sheep question and can't remember who here owns some. Some people down the road moved in awhile back and got sheep. I've noticed that some of them have pink sprayed on their backs....and some get shaved everywhere, but the tops of their back fur is left long. Just wondering why they might be doing this? I also noticed that they seem to be training English sheep dogs. Was wondering if the pink color had anything to do with that?
    Thanks!

Here is an answer for you, Cathy:
    https://www.quora.com/Why-are-sheep-...nted-or-marked

We have an old English sheepdo--get a pic of them herding, so we can see!

Thanks Tybee. These guys don't have marks like that, but rather sprayed over their entire backs. I'll try to get a pic for you sometime, but I'm usually in a hurry when I pass there.
    I've never seen the dog out there by itself with the sheep.......only with the owner and she has him on a leash. But I'm sure lots goes on in the day, when I'm not seeing it. Thanks for the link.
    Do you know what sheep are usually raised for these days? I'm thinking the wool, right?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Do you know what sheep are usually raised for these days? I'm thinking the wool, right?
    Some for wool but most as food. Lamb is becoming ever more popular. And the hides are kept from the butchered sheep and used for winter clothing and rugs.

I have the pelt from the first sheep I raised as a rug by my bed. I'm a farm girl. Animals are raised to be food. Fact of life and my 4yo sister and I at age 11 were well-aware of this when we raised our first 3 bum lambs (Mom's didn't feed twins back then so 1 was always free to a taker who would bottle feed/raise.)

Sometimes the male has been equipped so that he marks the females that have been bred. Is that possibly the reason?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

We had a small herd of sheep but never painted them. Not a very smart critter. Definitely pack animal, didn't know what to do on their own.
    Last edited by Float On; 8-7-18 at 10:56am.

Sorry I've been missing on this post. I got a picture of them the other day. You can see the pink coloration. Also......why do they not shear the top of the wool, but only the bottom? It's not the greatest pic, but you get the idea.

IMG_9943.jpg

Thread Information