Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How does your garden grow?

How does your garden grow?

How's everyone's garden doing?
    I'm so happy that we've gotten real water from the sky. It's amazing how you can keep a garden alive with ground water, but it's so much happier with sky water! I have most of my plants in food-grade stock tanks up on blocks, which is really nice because I can't do much leaning over to the ground anymore, or my brain squishes out my ears. But....I drilled too many holes in the bottoms of them and when it doesn't rain much, and I have to water them, the water seems to drain out way too fast. But I don't have to worry if it rains tons, because it drains really well.

Anyhow.......In the stock tanks I have roma tomatoes, Rutger tomatoes, red, orange, yellow peppers, haricot vert and roma beans, lots of rosemary, swiss chard, cherry tomatoes and some lettuce and spinach. In the ground growing up trellises (one of which is the kids old swingset), I have butternut squash, cucumbers and 2 types of pole beans. We put up a solar electric fence last year (on our 4' high utility fence with chicken wire at the bottom), and I think it's keeping out the coons. They really trashed my tomatoes last year.

DH has helped to weed eat around everything (with a cordless electric trimmer), and that's a big help.

Last year the chipmunks ate some things and they lived in the garden underground........but I don't see them this year. Just the moles, though, and they tunnel under the cement blocks that hold up the stock tanks, and then it all starts listing. I got a fake owl out there that is a motion sensor and makes a bizarre sound. It rained a lot today. I came home with the groceries and thought I heard sandhill cranes going over......which shouldn't be happening at this time. Figured out it was the owl. It must have shorted out in the rain and was yelling over and over and over. haha I went out and turned it off so it wouldn't bother the nest of wrens nesting in the top tube of the swingset........oh, and one little toad.

Can't wait for tomatoes and cucumbers.

How's your garden doing?

Yppej
    I got two small tomatoes today, the first of the season, but overall this year is a dud.

Picking kale, arugula, herbs.

Since we thought we were moving, my garden this year consists of perennials and lots of herbs, as always, and vast swathes of herbs that self-seeded, mostly white sage and borage. It will be beautiful when all in bloom.

I made a little spot and threw in some Jarradales. Everything else is what chose to come from last year. I am awash in valerian, which we are using to make tea, which is actually quite helpful.

Best of all, we have nesting bluebirds and constructed a little pallet yard around their house to keep the dogs away, and now we have a baby bunny that survived the dog finding its nest, and he is in the pallet yard and we think his mom is coming to feed him everynight since he seems healthy.

Everything is growing nicely except my zucchini (much needed for my freezer store of ratatouille). Our garden went in starting Memorial weekend.

Looks like I can pick salad greens this weekend

I've planted about 22 tomato plants, tomatillos, squash, zucchini, kale, chard, lettuce. Everything is still pretty immature, we're so far north.
    Also the herb bed that was here when we got up here already has thyme and oregano, and I added basil, rosemary, parsley (Curley and flat). They had planted a lamb's ear in the herb garden which is a little weird, but it's cool, too.

Flowers, I've planted morning glories and sunflowers, coleus, geraniums, petunias, etc.

It's actually looking pretty good so far!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Because we are still getting settled in yard and garden-wise, I have only one food crop - an enormous peach tree in the front yard near the street. It was absolutely loaded with peaches and then the neighbor backed his truck under it accidentally and knocked most of them off . But I do have a mystery melon growing out of the compost pile and some basil. The lady who once lived here planted roses everywhere and I am not a rose or fussy flower person so just keeping them pruned for now.

The nasty hot weather has cooked my lilies. Lots of buds have aborted, the leaves are scorched, colors faded.

Already I am looking forward to mext year’s garden, this year is a wash. i still have 5 more weeks of lily bloom but there will not be anything interesting coming up. If I i have even 3 stems to take to the national lily convrntion, I will be surprised.

As cor edibles, we have had lots of green beans.the lettuces and cool weather hreens were decent, but are over now of course.

We've been traveling for a month. I'm looking forward to seeing my garden again. Dd's been caring for things, and the pics look good. Hoping for the best.

I didn't plant any annual vegetables but have some fairly new perennials I hope take off (strawberries, grapes, artichokes, herbs.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

Best of all, we have nesting bluebirds and constructed a little pallet yard around their house to keep the dogs away, and now we have a baby bunny that survived the dog finding its nest, and he is in the pallet yard and we think his mom is coming to feed him everynight since he seems healthy.
    What a nice addition to your garden!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information