Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
I planted that many for a couple of reasons...

I wanted to try a few different varieties (including my hometown Rutgers varieties) to compare growth and taste. Of course, that went out the window as soon as DH offered to help me plant. He threw out the labels! I had done a detailed diagram and description in my gardening journal, and I went out to the garden when he was finished and all the tomatoes were completely scattered and nameless. Oh, well. Next year.

I also over-planted because in NJ we had problems with deer, and I figured the more I plant, the more I'll get to salvage. So far, though, no deer! If I get too many tomatoes, I'll peel, dice, and freeze a couple of batches and give the rest to my neighbors who have been very generous with their fish catches.
Oh No! Maybe you can tell by the looks of them, which ones they are? I tried different ones over the years, but ended up with just Rutgers, to simplify. I grew some heirlooms from seed one year, put them in the garden, and either the rabbits ate them, or they died of some disease. That's when I had a falling down/small chicken wire fence. Now we have a big fence, plus electric fence. So far, no bunnies, and I have too many trellises for deer to feel comfortable jumping over.

In the summers, I love making cucumber/tomato/sweet onion/olive salads, and Danish cucumber salad. Yum! I only grow "County Fair" cucumbers because they lack the bitter gene......which means that cucumber beetles don't bother them and kill them off. It's the only way I can have cucumbers.

I used to grow sweet corn. It was soooo yummy. But it was A LOT of work........digging a trench and planting the seeds down in it, then slowly hilling it up. Then the wind would still blow them over and we'd have to try to get them up a little. Then the coons would get them the day before I was going to pick them. Good thing we can depend on the grocery store when our gardens have problems!