Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: How does your garden grow?

I am being buried in green beans which I love for fresh eating and freezing, cherry tomatoes, garlic, green onions. Life is good. I have come to the conclusion that my little 3'x16' garden does better when I focus on certain plants important to me rather than trying for a variety of veggies. I buy the few beets, cobs of corn, zucchini, as I can enjoy them and pickling cukes when I have time to can them.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Today I made a second picking on my high bush blueberries. (I have 2 robust plants)

After washing the blueberries, I put them into a 2L glass batter. The volume is a bit more than 6 cups of blueberries. I am looking forward to a pie.

Attachment 2407
    In my little neighborhood up in Grand Isle, there is a guy who build a little shed (like the size of an outhouse) on the side of the street, with a sign that says "BLUEBERRIES". I didn't know what that was for, until a couple of weeks ago when I was going for a walk and the shed door was open and there's a little display fridge in it with a metal lunch box with a slit and instructions to put $5 in there. So it's blueberries on the honor system in my neighborhood! I love it! And the blueberries are organic and sweet. He always has about 9 pints in there. I'll be disappointed when the season's over.

As far as my garden, I replanted lettuce, and I still have thriving kale, and we just started harvesting zucchini, yellow squash and cucumbers. I have a lot of tomatoes, but they're a little small. Tomatillos are a LOT of fruit but none have ripened yet.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

This is a banner year for my cucumbers! I've picked 50 so far, at the very least. I used to can bread and butter pickles, but it's just too much work, for as little as we eat them. I do make some refrigerator garlic dill pickles, which are good. Mostly I make Danish cucumber salad all summer long, which is delicious. And it really shrinks the cucs so they go fast. As you can see from the picture, they really like that cattle panel arch. Also from the pic you can see that the butternut squash like the kids' swingset! They don't put out as many as on the ground, but since I've grown them upright, they don't seem to attract squash bugs. One year, on the ground (before the bugs found them), I picked 40 from the plant! This year, I'll probably get 10, and freeze the pulp and ration it out over the winter. It's sooooo good!
    Still, my tomatoes are suffering from leaf spot. I try to pick them early, so the bugs are less likely to get them, but then they don't ripen very well. Cherry tomatoes doing great. And you can also see in the pic that the rosemary is doing great. I dry it.
    My early pole beans are doing well, in spite of the danged jap beetles. My later pole beans haven't even put out a blossom yet....but hopefully they still will. Problem is, I've started seeing stink bugs, which can really decimate beans......so we'll see.

I love just having tomatoes, sweet onion, and cucumbers with some mayo for lunch. Yum!

I planted a zucchini plant in a big pot in the back yard mid-summer, but it hasn't put out any blossoms yet. I hope it still does, since we love spiralized zucchini noodles.

IMG_9731.jpg

IMG_9858.jpg

Cathy that trellis plant is a lot of fun.we are having a good year for cukes, so I will look up
    danish salad.

We are inHermann for a few days. Here are two iris beds completed. We are terracing the hill. By this time next year, there will be a total of 4 beds. 4 beds hold 400 cultivars.

As always, image is upside down, sorry!

FE0B902E-B044-4444-AD9E-E7B35DD75ECE.jpg

A lot of work to get ready!
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

I love your view!

I love the idea of terracing the hill!! That seems like so much work! Are you guys doing it yourself or getting hardscapers?

What is the orientation of your view? (N/S/E/W)? Those iris beds will pull your eye towards the view beautifully!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I love the idea of terracing the hill!! That seems like so much work! Are you guys doing it yourself or getting hardscapers?

What is the orientation of your view? (N/S/E/W)? Those iris beds will pull your eye towards the view beautifully!
    The view is East of our house. It is great for planting stuff.

The iris beds are not a part of a carefully lamdscaped plan, they are plunked down in the middle of our lot because they get full sun there. That is what healthy iris require. Also. DH has planned these beds so that they are easy to mow around. Mowing on this hill ks tricky.

We do EVERYTHING ourselves. Briefly, and for an exciting moment, DH said we could hire out the back yard work , including this Terracing. Yeah, that thought lasted about 2 seconds.

I have concluded that farm boys are constitutionally unable to hire out work they are capable of doing themselves, even when they are 64 years old and have money to pay others.

Farm boy story: two weeks ago DH’s father fell at his home and broke his hip.DH and his brother were there. The farm boys loaded their dad onto a paint tarp, lifted him into the truck, wrapped cardboard and duct tape around his leg, and drove him to the hospital. They didnt want to call EMT because they wanted to go to the big town hospital, not the nearby small hospital. DH claimed hospital personnel admired their duct tape work.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    We do EVERYTHING ourselves. Briefly, and for an exciting moment, DH said we could hire out the back yard work , including this Terracing. Yeah, that thought lasted about 2 seconds.

I have concluded that farm boys are constitutionally unable to hire out work they are capable of doing themselves, even when they are 64 years old and have money to pay others.

Farm boy story: two weeks ago DH’s father fell at his home and broke his hip.DH and his brother were there. The farm boys loaded their dad onto a paint tarp, lifted him into the truck, wrapped cardboard and duct tape around his leg, and drove him to the hospital. They didnt want to call EMT because they wanted to go to the big town hospital, not the nearby small hospital. DH claimed hospital personnel admired their duct tape work.
    Great farm boy story!

That's what I'm learning from my experience with my rural Vermont neighbors. My DH says that if you gave my next-door neighbor two pipe cleaners and a bulb he could build a lighthouse. He has fished out old water lines from the lake, dug out a makeshift septic system, in one day built a loft for his boys which they access via a firehouse ladder he bought for $25 at second hand shop. Another neighbor and his girlfriend piled a stone foundation by hand upon which they built a 60 ft. pole barn to house their motor home. While the pole barn was being built, they lived in a pop-up.

The resourcefulness here is astounding to me. Yet, they are so humble, calling each other "trailer trash." They have tons to teach us, and we feel helpless to do anything for them.