Thread: Things may be getting funkier with Mexico as of July 1st......

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Things may be getting funkier with Mexico as of July 1st......

So what takes place July 1st, you ask? Mexico's every six years election for President, which is a one term possible only for a length of six years deal. Lopez Obrador, he of the very far left and quite un-American in his rhetoric, is the current front runner by a wide margin. I see good and bad in this for the US. On the one hand, I cheer Mr. Obrador winning as I believe he will stand up to Trump in ways that Americans actually will be stunned to see happen.....on the other hand, I don't care for his recent comments that illegal immigration from Mexico to the US is "a human right" - liberal though I may be, this rhetoric doesn't quite sit right with me.

I also believe Lopez Obrador might institute difficulties for US citizens to cross the border for desperately needed medical and dental.....perhaps requiring a visa to do so, and making the visa difficult and or expensive to get. I can truly see this happening as can some of my neighbors and the 85006 overall is alarmed as a safety valve against America may be getting cut off soon. Very very very scary stuff.......Though I blame Obrador should this transpire, the events that have led us to this juncture I blame on Trump and the US.

I can see lots of fiery rhetoric between the US and Mexico coming.....guess whose side I will (mostly) be on? Rob

Personally, I wouldn't borrow worries from the future. If there is nothing you can do to change the situation, then worry about it if and when it happens. Worry is only good if it helps you to prepare for alternative scenarios, otherwise you are just wasting your life energy and will be depleted when you actually need to take action.

Any concrete plans to move yet? You may want to do so before the possibility that you can't.

I can see lots of fiery rhetoric between the US and Mexico coming.....guess whose side I will (mostly) be on?
    I don't know, because shouldn't the concern, if one is concerned with Mexican politics at all that is, be what one sees as good Mexico and it's inhabitants? (although no one doesn't get a vote) And it's impact vis a vee the U.S. a minor footnote?
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Reyes View Post
    Any concrete plans to move yet? You may want to do so before the possibility that you can't.
    Reyes, you have a point. Depending on how low relations between Mexico and the US sink, things may advance to the point that I can't move there. Good call, good point. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't borrow worries from the future. If there is nothing you can do to change the situation, then worry about it if and when it happens. Worry is only good if it helps you to prepare for alternative scenarios, otherwise you are just wasting your life energy and will be depleted when you actually need to take action.
    Herbgeek, on the one hand I agree with you, especially as I've been dealing with burnout lately. On the other hand, this is a BIG HUGE DEAL to those of us in border states that depend on Mexico for medical and dental and optical. I realize that you are in New England and beyond a zone where running to Mexico to offshore everything you can is not practical - granted and given. So my post above is not of the extreme weight and huge, unrelenting import that it would be for you if you lived in the 85006 or some similar area not far from the Borderlands. Trust me, this is potentially a huge deal, up there with what's going on with families separated at the border. Scary stuff......I can't do realistically much if anything about this, true, but it's important as I see it to keep up to date with what's going on with this at least once a day. Rob

What are the current requirements for an American seeking permanent residency in Mexico, or Mexican citizenship?

My investigations of what it would take for me to immigrate to Canada, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Germany, or the UK have shown it to be a bit involved.

I've said before I was pretty close to the numerical cutoff for Canada when I retired (and was relatively young). Another missed opportunity. Next life, I'll learn to jump sooner.

Thread Information