Thread: Cleaning casement windows.........YUK!

Cleaning casement windows.........YUK!

I really like casement windows, except that sooooo many bugs can still get in them. It seems like they congregate between the window and the trim on the inside, whether they're ever opened or not. Unfortunately, when they are open and you have a screen in, they can still get on and underneath the inside trim. I finally rallied enough to clean some of them out and it was disgusting. Dead bodies stuck everywhere..........and you have no idea this is going on when the windows are shut. I can't even get to some of dead bodies and poop. I'm thinking I need to buy some canned air to blow them out, while wearing a face guard. eewwww. I used a paint brush to try to get most of them, but it's impossible to get them all.

What's nice is I can clean the outside window from inside, just by cranking the casement window completely open. What would be nice is to have a piece of plywood with a handle on it that fit the opening, for inside the house, and then using a pressurized air thing from the outside and blasting the heck out of it.

I don't like to hire people to do these things, so I guess I'm stuck with it.

Anyone with casement windows have any tips/hints? Or......maybe you've never looked very close at all the dead bodies hidden down in there?

We have casement windows but I do have to admit to being a bit of a lazy homeowner around them. Yes, there are lots of dead bodies. When I do get to clean them, I like to use either a damp cloth/paper towel to collect them (if there's not much room inside to work) or a handheld brush to sweep them out of the house if I can open the window and remove the screen.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thanks Steve. When we had this addition built 20 years ago, we were pretty unhappy with the quality. I'm starting to wonder if they installed the windows weird. There's too many small, too hard to get to spaces under the inside window trim (from the outside)....where bugs love to collect. (Did that sentence make any sense? haha)

Out here in the country, the weeds and bugs are overpowering us!

Thread Information