Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Messed up education?

Oops, out of school time, all the before and after and summer providers

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    My observation--as a completely uninvolved civilian--is that from ed school on, the game is to layer all kinds of high-flown (mostly obfuscatory) language to conceal the fact that no one really knows what they're doing, and every year, it seems, someone else is in charge and generates even more meaningless paperwork and a tidal wave of edu-speak. Governments seem to be in on the game--No Child Left Behind, anyone?. Am I completely off base here? Why can't teachers just teach?
    We decided to opt out of the whole mess by going to private school.

For our inner city, the vouchers and charter schools offer the opportunity to do that for those who cannot afford private schools. Lotteries are used for "popular" schools, ie good schools. How can anyone gamble on their child's education?

I never liked the Little House books (seemed a bit preachy to me) but as a librarian I know they are dear to many hearts.
    The ALA is infamous for poor award choices (Have you seen the list if Caldecott winners? Ugh.)

I had an issue as a parent of highly sensitive kids about some of the elementary books like The Giver. Seems like that could be a choice bopk instead of required in case your child would have a really hard time with it. Handling issues like death and dying in public schools which wre moving towards less and less empathy and more towards testing seems like a bad combo

Thread Information