Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bands or musicians you're a little ashamed to like...

Bands or musicians you're a little ashamed to like...

So the other day at work people were poking fun at Michael McDonald (the 70s and 80s yacht rock singer). Apparently he was in the movie The 40 Year Old Virgin.

I was like: "I love me some Michael McDonald! 'I Keep Forgettin' and 'I Gotta Try', come on! It don't get no better!"

My colleagues of all the age brackets thought this was funny.

But I love yacht rock -- Christopher Cross, Ambrosia, Paul Davis -- that is good tunes, but a little shameful to say so. haha

Anyone else have some musicians or bands they are a bit embarrassed to like?

Williamsmith
    Okay, I’ll be the first to confess. On Sunday morning I run to the local Tim Hortons and get my wife a French vanilla cappuccino. On the ya and back, I listen to polka music. It brings back memories of weddings and dances I attended as a kid. Yeah, I love me some polka.

I love musicals--especially the older ones--Rodgers & Hammerstein, Lerner & Lowe, etc. I'm not THAT embarrassed to admit I love those songs, but I am embarrassed about my typical behavior while listening to them--singing loudly and dancing to my own impromptu choreography.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Well, this isn't up to date, but for a past embarrassment, (however slight), I will confess: Mid 60's. I was embracing all the hippie culture, especially loving the music. Janis, Hendrix, The Doors, etc. (along with my die hard Dylan devotion). But there was that one little group and their songs that I still liked a bit. The Monkees! Now you have it. I liked some of their songs and even today when one comes on an oldies station it will bring back pleasant memories. Hey, hey, we're The Monkees!!
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

John Philip Sousa, Devo, lounge music in general. I like Rogers and Hammerstein but am not too embarrassed about that one.

WS, I watched the fairly recent movie after the true story of the real Polka King, staring Jack Black as Jack Lewan. I think the real life king won a Grammy. Highly entertaining! Coincidentally it's called The Polka King.

Beach Boys...love that harmony.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Beach Boys...love that harmony.
    Are you kidding me? I saw them in concert last year and they were awesome!

SEL: Yes, Hey, Hey We're the Monkees!

If you find out who I am in real life and tell anyone I am gonna have to hurt you,

Doobie Brothers

For a permanent 80's punk gal this is serious, I maybe venture out to the new wavey stuff, but actual music by people who are not depressed or under nourished is a real difference for me.

I had to laugh at the Polka thing. I learned in the last two years, that one of my favorite 45's as a kid, was Polka, not Country Music like I thought.

Maybe I should be embarrassed that I like a drinking song as a tea totaler, who knows too many alcoholics.
    Otherwise we like what we like and that is both a preference as well as memories associated with the music thing.
    I have one song, from a movie that I have certain memories with, that when I learned who performed the song, I don't listen to it the same (can't stand the group, due to neighbor from hell, that would repeatedly play one song over and over loud enough for the whole neighborhood to be annoyed). Then I learned I knew a relative of the singer. Things like that.

Thread Information