Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: do you eat in bed?

As others have already said, only when sick with an illness that keeps me in bed.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Only sleep and well, you know, going on in our bed. No tv in the bedroom either.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Only sleep and well, you know, going on in our bed. No tv in the bedroom either.
    Agreed on the no TV in the bedroom. We used to have one and we got rid of it.

I have a colleague who, very weirdly, NEEDS the TV on in her bedroom all night long in order to sleep. I asked her how her husband felt about that, and she said he's gotten used to it. (She's older, and they've been married a long time). I don't know if I could get used to that.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I have a colleague who, very weirdly, NEEDS the TV on in her bedroom all night long in order to sleep.
    I don't think that's weird at all, well maybe the all night long part. I have a historical tendency to lay in bed thinking about whatever floats to the surface, and on many nights could lay awake for hours without a dependable ability to turn off my brain. I finally realized that if I could focus on something else, those thoughts didn't intrude, now I turn on the tv, set the sleep timer for 30 minutes and consistently fall asleep before the first commercial.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I don't think that's weird at all, well maybe the all night long part. I have a historical tendency to lay in bed thinking about whatever floats to the surface, and on many nights could lay awake for hours without a dependable ability to turn off my brain. I finally realized that if I could focus on something else, those thoughts didn't intrude, now I turn on the tv, set the sleep timer for 30 minutes and consistently fall asleep before the first commercial.
    Yeah, but I don't think she has a sleep timer. I think she needs it all night long.

I have the same method you mentioned--focusing on something else--but in my case it's a rosary. Started out I could say a whole rosary and really be into it, but now I don't get past the first decade before I'm sawing the zzz's. (LDAHL will get it--you Protestants probably won't).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Alan I know my son always had a hard time turning off his brain. He couldn't listen to music because as a serious guitarist he would hear all the parts and analyze them so it got his brain working too much. My daughter used the TV and I think he put things on his computer. Maybe that is how he got addicted to memes!!

Catherine, I do meditation and use the structured style of counting. So counting up to 10 on the in and out breaths and then backwards to 1, I sit upright so I do stay awake for awhile, but maybe 10 repetitions.

Of course, I eat in bed! I’ll eat all sorts of meals and snacks. I’ll spread a dish towel over my lap to catch any spills. I especially do it in winter when I want to be cozy with my heating pad.

I’ll also eat in the bathtub while taking a long bath, but that’s another thread!

I'm not religious, but saying the rosary to focus and fall asleep probably makes sense because it redirects the mind away from whatever it is that is keeping one awake. Personally I just count to four over and over in time with my breathing. In, one two, out, three four. Repeat. I think part of why this works for me is because in addition to distracting from my distracting thoughts it also makes me focus on slowing down my breathing.

As far as the original question, no, we never eat in bed. But that's probably because the only tv is in our living room. When eating together SO and I always eat on the couch in front of the tv. He sits on the floor with his plate on the coffee table and I sit on the couch and lean forward to eat off the coffee table. (and if it's steak night the cats sit on the floor next to him and beg for food.) If I'm alone I'll come upstairs to the den and eat at my computer desk. The dining room table that SO paid a decent penny for (and I actually really like) has become a good flat space for setting stuff on as soon as SO walks in the door...

I do everything in my bed but sleep...………………..

We have a tv in our bedroom because we don’t like all the same shows. He watches in there but it goes off when one of us goes to bed.

Thread Information