Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm entering the health care rabbit hole

I hope it's nothing too.
    I've already got anxiety about going in for my yearly BP check in 2 months because I'm sure he's going to ask for bloodwork, labs, etc because I've been a patient 4 years and refused all that so far.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I have called insurance for guidance on the costs of further testing and that part is OK. I am terrified though of having a contrast CT done since I am so sensitive by nature (and perhaps psyche) to such things. I suppose I could start all over with a second opinion but my experience in the past has been that most doctors follow the same protocol for whatever it is they need to check out. The other factor is that all of my other indicators are completely normal so naturally, I assume that whatever it is that might be causing my symptoms may pass with time. I recall reading recently that a very high percentage of conditions that people see doctors for eventually return to normal on their own.

I know my hideous back pain did, but I guess there is a risk in doing that, if it is something more serious and hidden, so that argues for the test he is talking about, to rule that out.
    I just gave up and rode out the back pain since the opioids they prescribed were intolerable, I could not work.

Most back pain is muscle related which is why so many back surgeries don’t help. However, I knew someone with back pain that ended up being bone cancer. I had the contrast done when they thought I had a heart problem. I changed cataract surgeons because the first was a paranoid nut that was having some kind of breakdown even though he was good in the past. Other patients reported the same thing to my doctor.

Most of my ailments have passed the test of time, so to speak. The (self-diagnosed) gall bladder attack was a bit iffy, but it went away with only a little lingering discomfort, never to return. Unfortunately, the arthritis seems to be here to stay. I agree that very few symptoms require attention--I joke that uncontrollable bleeding, intractable pain, compound fractures, and the inability to breathe are my benchmarks for consulting a doctor. (I've since added stroke symptoms to my list.)

My SO's sister reported pain to her doctor for years; he brushed it off and prescribed some kind of analgesic medication. Finally, she broke her hip and was diagnosed with bone cancer. She died within the month. I think that was a blessing--she was spared the fear of a diagnosis and the expense and pain of ineffective treatments.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I suppose I could start all over with a second opinion but my experience in the past has been that most doctors follow the same protocol for whatever it is they need to check out.
    One possible way to counter that could be to get the second opinion from a doctor in another medical system, if that's possible on your health coverage. My experience is that protocols tend to standardize within a given organization. Around here, if your regular Allina Medical doctor says "contrast test", it's very good odds that the Allina Medical doctor across town will say "contrast test" too. But a Fairview Health doctor's protocol can be different. Just a thought.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Hi Pinkytoe, I can't remember your age. Is it possible the blood in the urine was from your period? Is it possible to re-check your urine for blood?
    I've read that a non-contrast ct scan is the best thing for seeing stones, but you could have blood in the urine for other reasons....which might require the contrast.
    What kind of labs were drawn?
    Do you have any other symptoms at all?

Hi Cathy-
    I am well past period age. The blood is microscopic. The nurse told me that many people always have minute quantities of blood in their urine. I have already had one CT a week ago with no contrast to check for stones and it showed nothing. All my other insides looked clean on the scan too. This doc is saying they now need to do one with contrast to look for other things. Seems like the first one would have been enough if he is looking for tumors, etc. and I don't want all the radiation if not necessary. I have some very mild on and off again left side rib pain and have to pee a lot. Also some very mild abdominal discomfort. I have had multiple urine and blood tests - all normal. Actually, feel very healthy these days except for this and the panic that is setting in about how to proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I have some very mild on and off again left side rib pain and have to pee a lot. Also some very mild abdominal discomfort. I have had multiple urine and blood tests - all normal. Actually, feel very healthy these days except for this and the panic that is setting in about how to proceed.
    I cannot vouch for the accuracy of these, but it's a place to start......

https://www.buoyhealth.com/current/c...ination-women/

https://www.buoyhealth.com/

pinkytoe........I have fibromyalgia and lots of pain everywhere. Sometimes something feels serious.......but it might eventually subside. I have to pee a lot too........but I think it's my pelvic organs falling down. My abdominal pain and my peeing get worse if I lift anything very heavy. I'm wondering if you have some problems like this from when you did that work you mentioned. There's no reason why you couldn't tell the doc that for personal reasons, you need to wait on the ct scan for awhile.........and just see how things go. You could also sometime see a GYN and she could give you an exam and tell you if your bladder is falling a bit.
    If you do go ahead with the contrast ct scan, all I can say is it's not bad at all. I'm very sensitive to meds, plus I have a lot of anxiety with tests, and all the contrast does is make you feel very warm in your lower abdomen/crotch area, for maybe 10 seconds......then it's gone. If you think you'll continue to worry about what it is, then just go for the ct scan. But like I said above, I think it would be really wise to repeat the urine test. It may be normal next time. Tests aren't always accurate.
    If you're going to worry a lot about your pain........just get the scan, so your worry can be put to rest.

These kind of decisions are always difficult, especially when money is an issue. But I might also add that in the past, I have called the hospital, etc., billing departments, and as long as you pay a little each month, they are okay with that.

Thread Information