Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm entering the health care rabbit hole

Yep...I'm already on the payment plan as the bills mount.

pinkytoe.....I know this is a difficult situation. I think a lot of us have good reason to question some of the choices that doctors make. The seem to take the easy way out sometimes, by ordering a lot of tests, rather than having good clinical judgement.
    I guess you just have to decide for yourself what you feel most comfortable with. The only thing that is sort of a red flag to me, is the blood in the urine.....and that's why I think it would be good to repeat that first. But if blood was still present, you'd want more tests, and the urine would be one more test you'd have to pay for. I have tons of pains here and there that come and go.....but I think I would be more concerned if there were blood in my urine.
    Please keep us posted on what you decide to do and how things progress. I'm hoping the best for you.

By now, I have had another CT scan -- this time with contrast. I have been avoiding the appt as the CT was so unpleasant and yielded nothing of concern. The doc says "standard of care" is that I have yet another invasive test. I have a whole list of questions but when I call the office, I get the same old schpiel about how this is how they proceed with all patients with this symptom. I asked if I could make an appt to talk to the doc about the necessity of the final test and was told he would talk to me on the day of the procedure. So by now, I am confirming my confirmational bias that doctors aren't really in the healing business anymore.

That is totally ridiculous that you can’t even get a appointment to discuss it with the doctor. I would get a 2nd opinion. What test do they want now?

Are they recommending cystoscopy?

ETA: I'm in a bit of a rabbit hole myself, but everything that has been recommended was explained to my satisfaction by one of my doctors. I definitely consider them my paid expert consultants, with me being the final decision maker. It at least gives me the illusion of some control in the matter!

Don't worry man, you will be alright. Just find a good doctor, but the tests are necessary. if they start medicines without knowing the actual problem that is also a problem, so have a faith in God and find a good doctor.

I'm sorry you're caught up in the meat grinder, pinkytoe. With luck you can escape with your health and autonomy intact.

Are they recommending cystoscopy?
    Yep. They have examined every inch of my anatomy so I guess this is the last test. I tried to explain that having all of these tests done based on one urine test done six weeks ago doesn't make sense to me. So...my plan of action is to have another urine test done by regular doc. If it is still positive for blood, then I will roll over and give in to one more test. Bleecchhh...I hate this stuff...

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Wow, my Doc is on the other end of the spectrum.

When I show up with similar symptoms (and urine test shows blood in urine) she just says I have a urinary tract/bladder infection and puts me on a round of antibiotics. No other testing.

I'm a woman and we do get those pesky infections once in a while.
    peaceful, easy feeling

I had one once and that is what my doctor did.

Thread Information