Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend getaways

Weekend getaways

Trigger Warning: Yppej, this could send you into one of your tizzies.

While I am not taking anything like a full-on vacation, I am going to go on a little weekend getaway with my ladyfriend in mid-July.

We're going to Buffalo, NY to visit her family and friends (I guess it is serious, this relationship). I'll be meeting her friends from her old neighborhood, getting shown around her old haunts, and breaking bread with her family a few times.

We are also going to Niagara Falls, as I have not been there since I was 10 years old. We may also go to a minor league baseball game (that is TBD though).

I am taking a Friday and a Monday off; we're driving there; and we reserved an Air BnB in a nice neighborhood.

So this got me thinking, where are your favorite weekend getaways? What sorts of activities have you done on weekend getaways?

We like pointing the car in one direction (preferably one we've never taken before) and just driving and stopping at whatever strikes our fancy. No timetables, not a lot of planning, a true break from daily life.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    We like pointing the car in one direction (preferably one we've never taken before) and just driving and stopping at whatever strikes our fancy. No timetables, not a lot of planning, a true break from daily life.
    That's our kind of getaway, too! We call them "meanders" and we've found a lot of unexpected fun stuff in our travels.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

"Brown Sign" trips. We head down a road or highway and stop at every brown sign. We've seen parks, waterfalls, historic notations and parts of our state we would never have otherwise seen as we drive BY them on our way to somewhere/something. On occasion we get far enough away from home that we take a hotel room.. Most of the time we've gotten back home.

We call them "get lost" trips. Love just heading out and seeing where we end up.

We do little weekend trips when we can. Anymore it tends to be going to stay at the cabin on the farm because we don't have the income we once did for fun trips. We do manage to fit for DH 2 trips to SC a year for him to see his mom, and I split up my vacation time with long weekends. Have a short weekend planned to Santa Fe for the Opera. We just haven't decided which one/what weekend yet. That's a girls trip - 3 of us meeting up. We'll get an AirBnB casita.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

We always plan our trips but with 3 dogs we need to although I still did before I had dogs. We love to go to placer county in California in the fall and also Elko.

I am definitely on the over-planning end of the spectrum. We really like Portland, ME for a getaway weekend, but proximity has something to do with it and it is not so close to you. Nice hotels, restaurants, shops, architecture. There's an excellent art museum and a couple of good concert venues. Nice drives along the coast and lighthouses and historic houses to visit. Seafood heaven!

Eureka Springs, ARkansas is a fun weekend trip for us.

Wherever our kids live. We’ve seen lots of stuff by combining it with a visit to the kids.

We are heading west into the mountains for a few days without much of a plan. Normally, I plan every detail of a trip but not this one.

Thread Information