Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Weekend getaways

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    We have not had good enough dog care for weekend getaways, and my husband hates to leave them behind anyway.
    I am thinking if we want weekend getaways, we are going to have to buy a trailer. Those of you with trailers who take your dogs, how have you dealt with barking? Or do you have perfect dogs?
    Can you find a kennel nearby? My sister found one in town for their 2 standard poodles. They have huge open play spaces so the dogs are not in a small "cell" when they travel. The dogs are quite happy and content when picked up as they've had lots of exercise and playtime with doggie friends. Sister says it's worth every penny. When they go camping they always take them along.

Another option is a nearby teen to dog-sit for you. Come in and walk/feed/ poop scoop. Also money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Can you find a kennel nearby? My sister found one in town for their 2 standard poodles. They have huge open play spaces so the dogs are not in a small "cell" when they travel. The dogs are quite happy and content when picked up as they've had lots of exercise and playtime with doggie friends. Sister says it's worth every penny. When they go camping they always take them along.

Another option is a nearby teen to dog-sit for you. Come in and walk/feed/ poop scoop. Also money well spent.
    Thanks, Gardnr, I will look into kennels a little harder. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Those of you with trailers who take your dogs, how have you dealt with barking? Or do you have perfect dogs?
    We take our Min Pin with us in the motorhome. She's definitely not a perfect dog as she barks at everyone and everything here at home. She's a good traveler though and seems to enjoy roaming inside the motorhome while we're driving and once we get to a destination, she's outside her home environment and doesn't feel the need to bark at everything that moves.

When we're parked for a few days at any location we leave her in the motorhome during our 3 to 4 hour excursions although we put her in her crate and close the curtains while we're gone. She will bark for a few minutes as we're getting situated on the motorcycle but then she settles down and we always find her asleep when we return.

The only time she's ever on a leash is when we're travelling and we take her out several times a day for a nice long walk. She doesn't seem to consider new places as her own so she's surprisingly polite rather than the little terror we know her to be.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Alan, that's really interesting. We were shocked that our dog was so good on the trip, that is until we moved into my parents' house and she decided she had to bark at the lawn guy and my brother who arrived later than we did.
    But on the trip in the car, she was not barking at anyone when outside on the leash, and seemed to recognized she didn't own the joint.

I am going to make a new thread about dog getaways and vacations.

We take them in our RV, motels or flying. Not a problem

My ladyfriend and I leave this morning to go up to Buffalo/Niagara. This should be fun (minus the 5.5 hour car ride)!

We're trying to sign up for the zipline at the Falls!

Enjoy your trip! We are at the end of a month trip and are tired. Drove a long day yesterday and today and Saturday will be the same. Had a great time but looking forward to getting home

We had a nice weekend getaway to Sonoma last weekend. We go probably 3 times a year, do a few wine tastings, eat at our favorite restaurants up there, sleep in, have a picnic lunch in the Armstrong Woods and just generally relax.

During my weekend getaway to Niagara and Buffalo I had a lot of fun! While there was some total wackiness, awkwardness, and issues regarding meeting her family and friends in Buffalo, the time in Niagara was actually really great. What an amazing and accessible destination!!!

We rode the hornblower boat up to the falls, watched Niagara's Fury (interactive movie with special effects), did the White Water Walk, and toured the tunnels behind the falls.
    We also rode the zip line by the falls! It was really fun and thrilling!

Thread Information