Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 114

Thread: Weekend getaways

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    4,264
    There is a class action lawsuit against a birth control pill because it causes a rare liver disease in young women that die without a liver transplant. It happened to a 19 yo I know and she died after the transplant. Risk free my ass!

  2. #52
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I think UL should just admit that he is scared of a vasectomy. 
    I think that's part of it, and the other part is a stubborn refusal to take responsibility for his own (non)reproductive wishes.
    Man up UL.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,354
    OMG, listen in to women when they don't know you are listening. Birth control is a huge deal, lots of trial and error, side effects, long term impact, etc. At least half the women I know have had issues with some form of birth control and needed to change a couple times in their reproductive life span. Even my ex got a vasectomy when we were done having kids, and he had anxiety and a streak of selfishness.

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,724
    There is a class action lawsuit against a birth control pill because it causes a rare liver disease in young women that die without a liver transplant. It happened to a 19 yo I know and she died after the transplant. Risk free my ass!
    it's not the type of argument that is going to be won on facts, because they won't matter. Now really the risk of death from birth control pills is low. But "side effect free" is where most women would quibble, to pretend none of the side effects from birth control women use matter at all, but vasectomies just have horrible side effects. It's ridiculous and too biased to bother with, a case of "my mind is made up, don't bother to confuse me with the facts".

    Even in relatively low side effect birth control like copper IUDs, all the initial risk (and pain and it's not mild) at insertion that UL mentions as risk of vasectomy exist (puncture of the uterus requiring surgery to find the lost IUD etc.), but yes are low, but also if it fails (and it usually doesn't fail of course but it does ocassionally) there is the risk of ectopic pregnancy. And the copper IUD is as good as it gets IMO.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

  5. #55
    Senior Member rosarugosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Someone as vehemently against having children would have had a vasectomy a long time ago. I think quite the contrary, UL is not at all afraid of the procedure. He just secretly wants to preserve the option to have a child just in case he might fall head over heels for a woman who wants to procreate.
    I do think if a person feels really strongly that he or she does not want to procreate, then he or she should have the relevant procedure. I had a tubal ligation when I was 21, because I wasn't taking any chances and I felt very strongly that I did not wish to have children. (Speaking of thread drift, it was not done during a weekend getaway!)

  6. #56
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,909
    My tubal ligation was done on a Friday (with a weekend to get away and recuperate from the anesthetic and inflation); I was very sure I didn't want children. I'm wearing my "Spayed in Oregon*" tee to commemorate the occasion. I've never had side effects or regret.

    *Purchased in support of the Feral Cat Coalition of Oregon

  7. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Boom! Here is where you say: "I stand corrected."
    Uh, this is where I say "go screw yourself". You're an idiot.

  8. #58
    Senior Member KayLR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SW Washington State
    Posts
    1,614
    Wow, this thread! I hadn't looked at it until today---like so many other times, I decide to check out an unread post just to see where it's gone from the beginning. Kind of a hobby. Wow, from "where do you go for weekend getaways," to "go screw yourself." In six pages....not a record, but still impressive.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

  9. #59
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    7,998
    Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Oh puleeze UL! You can't compare a temporary couple of days discomfort to the effects of hormones over a women's reproductive lifetime. Boo hoo I have an ouchie for a couple of days is not increased risks of some cancers, reduced libido, brain fog etc over many years (and the cancer risk may be permanent even if birth control is halted).

    I thought the effects of the pill were worth it at the time too, and then I went off it when I hit 40, and BAM, I got back to how I used to be. I thought it was just getting older that had made me that way, but it was the hormones. There are other non hormonal methods (I'd used a copper IUD) but those also can have bad side effects (and I had them, but won't list them here because too graphic).
    Everything comes with some risk. Each person must choose how much risk they will assume.
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  10. #60
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    7,998
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post

    I think UL should just admit that he is scared of a vasectomy. 
    Consider it admitted!
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •